joining cast iron soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi Iam replacing a toilet, the soil pipe is cast iron the end of the pipe has been bent into a corrugated effect, ive thrown the old toilet away so im not sure how that was joined, can i just use a pan connector extension to conect to the new toilet? the toilet is in the same position, im wondering why the cast iron pipe has been bent to this corrugated shape
thanks
ben

Sponsored Links
"im wondering why the cast iron pipe has been bent to this corrugated shape"

I'm wondering how !

Sure it's not lead ? Cast iron is a tad rigid.

Unless you mean you have a C.I. socket. then you could bodge a standard pan connector in with mastic.

OP, posting pics would really help.

My immediate impression is that you are talking about a Flexi Pan Connector but, as above, if its a CI socket then there's the difficulty of WC spigot distance from the soil pipe opening (not the CI hub) and the height of the new WC pan spigot?

Thanks for the replies, i think it is lead! Im not sure how it goes from cast iron outside to lead inside, by corrugated i mean looking at the hole of the pipe its not completely circular it has a crimped edge, if that makes sense.
Possibly found the solution via google that i can use a macalpine extension connector into the lead pipe then hammer the lead round the extension,(maybe this is what has created the corrugated effected to the lead pipe originally)

Possibly one problem is that my new tiles will be infront of the lead pipe so i wont be sure its not leaking when the toiletis fitted, i can fitthe extension before the tilee
s and tile backing board goes on

Sponsored Links
If you have a lead closet bend going thro the wall to connect (typically) into a CI hub on the wall outside then it must be well old and work worn. Chances are that it will leak on job completion. S*ds law. Plus, the fins on the connector might have difficulty giving a tight fit with a lead pipe esp if its malformed or rippled.
So have it removed and a Plastic (ABS) bend & pipe installed to replace it.

How come no pics?

Ill post a picture tomorrow, i wanted to replace the soil pipe with plastic but decided to reuse the old pipebecause im waiting to finish the bathroom before moving in to the house

Would i be able to remove the lead bend and join plastic pipe to the stack or to the branch coming off the stack, then i could replace the stack in the future and rejoin onto the new plastic pipe for the toilet?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back