Connecting compression fittings to insulated tanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm installing a horizontal indirect hot water cylinder but i've come across a problem that has really stumped me. The cylinder is totally insulated with foam as all are now except for small areas where connections need to be made. How is it possible to PTFE the threads and how can you tighten the connector onto the thread without cutting away a substantial amount of foam.
Is there a special tool out there that can overcome this or have i missed something.
Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I assume u are talking about the coil connections ?? If u have an issue with that u can get purpose type connectors , similar to tap connectors but bigger !

Sorry, i haven't explained myself properly. I was talking about the primary flow and return plus the hot water draw off and cold feed supply connections. The insulating foam rises about 2 inches above them making it impossible to put PTFE on the thread or tighten the connections without messing the insulation up.

Sorry, i haven't explained myself properly. I was talking about the primary flow and return plus the hot water draw off and cold feed supply connections. The insulating foam rises about 2 inches above them making it impossible to put PTFE on the thread or tighten the connections without messing the insulation up.

right with you now, i will tell you how to do it before tamz jumps in and steals the glory again!!!!!!
unwrap your ptfe tape and wrap it round a pencil, leave the end of the tape loose and hold the loose bit onto the male thread then wind the pencil round the thread in the gap between the thread and foan, dont use an IKEA pencil as they are too short, it is sometimes still a good idea to use the whb wrench to tighten the fitting

Sponsored Links
Primary flow & return connections would be the coil ! the rest are generally internal threads eg u use a male iron type connectoion to which u apply the ptfe ? tighten your pipe into the M iron than apply your tape to the thread & tighten with the nut that u previosly used to tighten the copper into it with !

Primary flow & return connections would be the coil ! the rest are generally internal threads eg u use a male iron type connectoion to which u apply the ptfe ? tighten your pipe into the M iron than apply your tape to the thread & tighten with the nut that u previosly used to tighten the copper into it with !

EH? :LOL:

EH? :LOL:

:) ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back