Connecting gas bonding cable to old consumer unit (pictured)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Just wait until those screw heads start sheering off on the final turn for luck...!

How about a nice single pole Henley for that pro finish..the WF ones even come with an earth sticker for the front, and don't forget your safety electrical connection warning labels!

I would never advise a diyer to go opening an old wylex.

Even with the main switch off there is a big live lump of brass 3mm away from a large neutral lump. It is just too easy for things to go very wrong.

Why not turn off the main switch, cut the main earth and terminate both ends into a new earth block along with the new bonding cable.

Without a doubt, the best suggestion yet.

What, even better than my suggestion posted some 9 hours prior to RF's?

In my area the DNO would not do anything at all with that main earth connection.

I would never advise a diyer to go opening an old wylex.

Even with the main switch off there is a big live lump of brass 3mm away from a large neutral lump. It is just too easy for things to go very wrong.

Why not turn off the main switch, cut the main earth and terminate both ends into a new earth block along with the new bonding cable.

Without a doubt, the best suggestion yet.

What, even better than my suggestion posted some 9 hours prior to RF's?

Sorry, must have been taking a sip of my drink whilst reading through your post! :oops:

Can't quite tell, but is that a pipe clamp fitted to the incoming service sheath? If so, give your DNO a call. They should come out to modify/improve it.

Probably at a cost as it's not sweated on.

I've known it to be done FOC in the past

I suppose it depends who you get and how you go about it. I only say this as I've spoken to two UKPN guys in the past month who both insist that it is chargeable unless it has previously been sweated on.

Yep, i suppose it depends on what is said and who is listening.
Maybe just saying 'i don't like pipe clamps on service sheaths' won't get a favourable response, but couple that with 'High Ze / looks unreliable / might fail / your property' might get a different reaction?

Another one of those little grey areas i guess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back