connecting light switch to FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my conservatory, I have a fan light connected to the mains with a fused connection unit, 5 amp. The FCU is high up, and unreachable without a ladder, on the wall and is the only way to switch the fan on and off. I was wondering if it is possible to connect a light switch to the FCU and connect this to the wall lower down? If so, how would I do this? The FCU has red, black and earth wires wired into the IN connectors and the same running to the fan wired into the OUT connectors.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
You will need to cut the cable after it leaves the fan. Obviously isolate it at the FCU first!

The red supply from the FCU should go to COM in the light switch. The red to the fan will connect to L1 in the light switch.

The neutrals cores should be connected in a choc block and tucked into the backbox. The two earths should be connected to the earth lug in the backbox (or the switch faceplate if it is metal).

Job done. ;)

OR
DON'T cut the cable between the FCU and fan.

Isolate power completely.

Run a 1.0 or 1.5 twin and earth cable from the FCU to the new switch position.

At the new switch connect brown to COM
and
blue with a brown sleeve to L1
earth to appropriate earth terminal

At the old FCU remove the old red from the L OUT terminal.
Connect the new brown to the L OUT terminal.
Connect the red and the new blue with a brown sleeve to a piece of 5 amp connector block.
Connect new earth to existing earth.

Use earth sleeving over bare earth wires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back