Connecting Loft Tv Amplifier Power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings all, great site, what a help too, I used it to successfully extended a socket to a room, so a big cheers. I have read a lot of posts regarding getting power to the loft for aerial amplifiers, so sorry for adding another, I just wanted a direct answer if you can take the time. I have a already bought the 6 way amplifier and a standard plug socket and plastic back box. I have a 5 metre run of 2.5 T&E. In my loft I have cables for the lights in numerous places and I also have what looks like two 5mm cable powering the showers. I would to ask the best way to power my amplifier, My ideas were:

Run a spur up the wall from one of the bedroom sockets below, up the cavity

or spur off one the lighting lines, junction box,

or can I come off the shower line

Many Thanks in advance.

Martin

Sponsored Links
first option is the best.. always run sockets off the socket circuit if you can..
at a push... ( and I mean as an absolute last resort ) you can put a single socket off eh lights and lable the socket as for the aerial amplifier ONLY!!!
you should NEVER use a shower supply to run anything but the shower..

As said ideally off the socket ring.

If you need to use the lighting circuit (last resort) rather than a socket use a Switched Fused connection unit, then later in life someone else won't be tempted to plug a large appliance in!!

all good and well, but that asumes that the aerial amplifier power supply isn't a "wall wart"...

Sponsored Links
I was impressed the amplifiers B&Q sell had internal transformers. But I didn't want to cut the plug off due to warranty concerns.

I did this the other day for my grandad. Theres 2 lighting JBs in his loft (the loop in for 6 lights), both have about 8 cables to them. One has the earths terminated outside the box due to crowding. I decided to add another JB! :eek:

Now I think on, in his airing cupboard near the ceiling is a fused spur for the alarm panel from the upstairs ring main, I could have used this. Never mind.

Some distribution systems have the power adaptor as an F connector so you an put the distribution system in the loft and power it from downstairs simply by running an additional co-ax cable from wherever you wish to plug it in. You then connect the transformer to a power inserter and the power supply cable is attached to the power inserter. A nice solution in many instances.

so kind of like the "magic eye" works on a sky system?
it picks up a 9V feed from the sky box and sends it up the coax?.

so kind of like the "magic eye" works on a sky system?
it picks up a 9V feed from the sky box and sends it up the coax?.

Yes, and some of the more basic distribution boxes can be powered directly from the 9v RF out 2 on the back of the Sky box. The ditribution box will then send 9v out to every TV point. However, diplexing and triplexing DDU's usually need 12v from a separate cable.

If you need to use the lighting circuit (last resort) rather than a socket use a Switched Fused connection unit, then later in life someone else won't be tempted to plug a large appliance in!!

Surely this will be protected by the fuse/ mcb supplying the lighting circuit. A label would help so that large loads aren't plugged in, but this would just trip the lighting circuit wouldn't it - assuming that a)appropriately rated cable is used to connect the socket to the lighting circuit and b) the overcurrent device is also appropriately rated.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thing is, if someone plugs in a large load, like an electric saw, the lighting circuit trips and the loft is plunged in to darkness whilst the saw spins down... not good...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back