Connecting new radiator to a single pipe system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a shower room in my basement and want to connect up a radiator to the existing heating system.

Its a single pipe system, but what seems in the house as 3 circuits for the 3 floors (3 x thermostats and valves the the boiler etc).

My question is should I cut the 'IN' pipe and branch it off to the new rad, or would it be better to tap off the IN and feed back into the OUT pipe?

ie. In series or parallel to the existing pipework?

Any cpmments gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
You must cut the pipe and divert the loop so it runs under the new rad, teeing off for the flow and return in the vertical plain, then re-connecting the pipe back to the loop.

If you can get YS Sweep tees so much the better.

Also remember, one pipe systems have a special TRV, any old TRV will not do.

Thanks for that doitall.

So cut the pipe and divert it?

Is it OK to use push fit connectors?

Does it matter if I cut the flow (in) or return(out) pipe?

What do you mena by YS Sweep tees :confused:

I've just got basic non thermostaic valves.

Here is a very rough picture, with a sketch of the schematic ...

BTW: The existing pipework has been covered in bitumen ... any ideas how to clean this off?

2igha2h.jpg

You need to break the existing loop, and take the piece of pipe out between the cuts, also the loop has to be joined under the radiator, not elbows as shown.

I wouldn't use push fit, as the pipe is most certainly old 1/2 imperial.

You are diverting the flow, picking the radiator up, and connecting back into the loop.

Sweep tees encourage the flow into the rad, only made by Yorkshire now.

ordinary valves are fine.

White spirits should get the bitumen off.

Sponsored Links
You show two heating pipes in the pic.

Where do they go.

Thanks doital, much cleaer now.

Why does the loop has to be joined under the radiator? Other rads in my system aren't.

The two pipes shown in the pic from what I can gather feed in/out from upstairs for the basement circuit for the other 4 rads down there.

Because if you don't join the loop under the radiator you will stop all the rads working if you shut the radiator off.

Are you 100% positive it's a one pipe system.

Personally I would connect the new rad up as a 2pipe, flow from one pipe and the return from the other. at worse you will need to throttle the return valve.

Are you 100% positive it's a one pipe system.
Well, thats what the British Gas man said some time ago ...

I'm pretty sure the two virtical bitumen pipes are the flo and return for the whole basement.

At the base of ezch of these pipes are a 'tap off' on each before they enter the screed ... I gues its been split for the rooms down there ..

Personally I would connect the new rad up as a 2pipe, flow from one pipe and the return from the other. at worse you will need to throttle the return valve.

SO just 'tap off' from each flo and return to form a new circuit?

If I do this would it negate the need for a 'loop join' under the rad?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back