connecting on to lead waiste pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey I wonderd if you could connect on to old lead waste pipes with 1.5inch and 1.25inch mcalpine sockets as I want to connect on to the old bath and basin waiste. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
How much more effort would it take to remove all the lead waste pipes and replace with plastic (which I assume may well run into a nearby external hopper)?

the old lead pipes go in to a cast iron stack. Via a tee junction the pipes go into this. The tee junction is then fullied in I duno what with I havent been up yet. If I did re new them what would I fill the cast iron tee junction with. Are you sayin mcalpines are not realy suitable fot connecting to lead.

I'm never too keen on using compression joints like this on lead. Others may disagree.

Think I'd be more inclined to see what the pipe feeds into the stack with with an eye on removing this and using either a strap on boss (using a silicon bed to waterproof it) or putty if there's already a suitable tee there.

Sponsored Links
They go in to an old cast iron tee probably with putty filling it in. Could I re new the pipes in plastic to the cast iron tee, and jus putty it up agen.

They go in to an old cast iron tee probably with putty filling it in. Could I re new the pipes in plastic to the cast iron tee, and jus putty it up agen.

That's what I'd do (wrap some tape around the end of the plastic to build up a reasonably snug fit and so the putty seals it without having to be too deep a layer - 20mm or so. It will also hold the pipe in place while the putty sets over a period of days/weeks). Just make sure the pipe doesn't go too deep in, as it may build up a blockage within the stack over time.

ok a few layers of duct tape round the pipe where it mets the putty?

ok a few layers of duct tape round the pipe where it mets the putty?

Not even that wide - insulating tape around the end of the pipe, and when the pipe is within the stack's tee ( a bit of silicon shoved in at this point wouldn't do any harm) putty it all in. Tiny detail - clean as much rust off as you can from within the iron joint.

HI

sorry but i prefer compression waste fitting before the cast iron soil pipe.

HI

sorry but i prefer compression waste fitting before the cast iron soil pipe.
We agree to differ. It's a matter of preference. I'd rather any possible weak spots to be outside the building where water is concerned. But if it works for you, who's to argue ;)

i would always use mcalpine multifit on lead waste if the lead looked in good nick, cant see the point of stripping it out unless it is dodgy, use electrical tape and putty etc is as much a risk of leak later as is connecting to lead that is probably lead run into the CI stack and never going to leak

i would always use mcalpine multifit on lead waste if the lead looked in good nick, cant see the point of stripping it out unless it is dodgy, use electrical tape and putty etc is as much a risk of leak later as is connecting to lead that is probably lead run into the CI stack and never going to leak
I bow to your wisdom in these matters, as usual. But I'm still going to do it my way :LOL: :LOL:

Dex, how are you doing my man?
i have no wisdom just my opinion, as you say everyone has there own way of doing things and will stick with them what ever is said, although now and again you read an absolute golden nugget that someone else suggests and you just think that is brilliant, i have been doing this for 30 years and never thought of that, and as long as we have some friendly banter about the different ways rather than the vitriolic attacks we sometimes read here then having different ways makes it all the more fun.

Dex, how are you doing my man?
i have no wisdom just my opinion, as you say everyone has there own way of doing things and will stick with them what ever is said, although now and again you read an absolute golden nugget that someone else suggests and you just think that is brilliant, i have been doing this for 30 years and never thought of that, and as long as we have some friendly banter about the different ways rather than the vitriolic attacks we sometimes read here then having different ways makes it all the more fun.
Hey kirk - you are a timeserved pro, and now a college teacher too. (I trust this is still as enjoyable as you waxed lyrical about a few weeks ago).

I agree with your sentiments above, but take it you don't view my insulating tape and putty as a "golden nugget" :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

yes still enjoying it, teaching a short (16week, then they are out for 10 week placement then back in for 2 weeks for ACS) gas course at the moment for adult re-trainees so that is quite enjoyable, these courses seem busier than ever at the moment, we have another starting in August then another in October, no apprentices (or beauty therapists or hairdressers :oops: )in college at the moment, only my class and a couple of others so things are quite quiet and we have the place to ourselves so its fine, i might move on to a term time contract at xmas so will have 12 weeks holiday next year, working through this year as i'm the new boy but it is all paid work and extra for the hols so quids in at the moment, we have 2 1st year apprentice classes for next term as well so things are not too bad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back