Connecting power to a LED illuminated mirror and a LED batten in Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
The previous owner left me a wire hanging in the bathroom which has now been connected to a newly installed LED mirror.
The other end of that cable is in the loft, it is taped to 3 other 1.5mm T/E cables that feed into a spot light in the same bathroom below.

Questions:
1. Should one of these 3 cables in black electrical tape be 240V LIVE?
2. If the answer to above question is YES, can I just connect the currently dangling cable in loft with the LIVE cable to allow power to LED mirror?
3. Lastly, I am told that we need some light in the loft, so can the same LIVE cable be used to feed a switch to allow using a LED batten?

Many thanks for your advice in advance.

Attachments

• 20230604_144447.jpg
    20230604_144447.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 47
Sponsored Links
Putting it simple, one can't assume. It may well have all the connections you need, but it could also be lacking some, lights will work with just a line and neutral (both classed as lives) but often not safe without an earth.

My main DIY tester Testing for live.jpg will do most of what I need, I also use a insulation tester VC60B.jpgbut I don't have an earth loop impedance tester or a RCD tester when I want them I have to get them back off my son, but the whole problem with DIY is we try to get away with out buying expensive testers. The two shown cost me £70 the testers my son has annexed would likely add another £500 to replace.

So step one what have you got? I find the non contact voltage test being shown in use with the first meter is a very good start point, note start point, pictures do help, but without some testing can't really answer your question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back