Connecting wires in conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to get an EICR done and just looking over some things so that I don't get too many surprises. Upon looking inside some conduit running across the ceiling in the lounge I found a few places where the T&E is joined using chocolate blocks. Is joining the wires like this permitted? It has been like this for decades. Part of me is tempted to wrap insulation tape around it but part of me thinks hidden dangers are worse.

Attachments

• Image3241504879607815949.jpg
    Image3241504879607815949.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That's trunking not conduit. Bare earth conductors should be sleeved in green/yellow . It's not particularly good practice to have joins in cable hidden in trunking ,and there are more professional ways to join them rather than those screw down connectors.

Surface trunking is actually quite easy to work with, if appearance does not matter. You can take the lid off and replace unsatisfactory cables.

As the connections are accessible by removing the lid of the trunking I do not think there is any requirement for them to be Maintenance Free.

Some tape round the choc blocks would prevent accidental contact with the terminal screws. But I agree, hidden connections are not ideal either. Perhaps a good compromise would be to turn the choc blocs over so you can see them but the screws are facing the base of the trunking.

Sponsored Links
I think I'm at the point where I need to get the EICR done anyway. I know that I'll need a new distribution board since there are no RCDs so I'm fully expecting it to be a multistage process. Hopefully replacing some of the lighting circuit (I think that's what they are) shouldn't be too expensive. Last time I had an EICR done at another property the contractor replaced a light rose that had a hairline crack and fixed the new one to the wall with only one screw and sitting askew where the cable came in. Hopefully this next one won't cause more problems than it solves.

Choc block has been in use for decades and some downlights / lights in general use it.
In those it's attached to the light fitting. For downlights it's attached and there is a clamp for the cables.

Entirely different from random pieces left loose in trunking.

In those it's attached to the light fitting. For downlights it's attached and there is a clamp for the cables.

Entirely different from random pieces left loose in trunking.

Found it buried in walls, plaster etc etc

You seem to have ivory glasses on, whereas the standards of installs have always been poor and very few people have the knowledge and competence to do it properly even now

Then you go adding to threads your opinion of things that are not reflected in the regs.

Found it buried in walls, plaster etc etc
So what? Doesn't make any of it correct or safe.

You seem to have ivory glasses on, whereas the standards of installs have always been poor and very few people have the knowledge and competence to do it properly even now
Some installations have been poor. Some still are. Some people are incompetent. Others don't care.
None of that is an excuse to just carry on as if none of it matters.

Then you go adding to threads your opinion of things that are not reflected in the regs.
What things would those be?
That terminations must only be accessible using tools?
That wires must be terminated properly?
That good workmanship is required?

Are you advocating for crap installations everywhere and no one should bother to do things properly just because some people are incompetent?

Got the EICR done today and whilst the guy was really thorough and helpful he wasn't interested in the contents of the trunking. I had put sleeves on the earth wires as suggested. No bodges this time unlike the EICR I had done on another property with another company who I will never use again after they replaced a lighting rose with a hairline crack with a non-cracked one but fastened by only 1 screw so the cable could enter from the side because they were too lazy to use the backing box I provided.

Turn the power off, tighten up the screws in the choc bloc then turn the power back on.
If it's been fine for umpty years it has a good chance of being fine for umpty more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back