connection in the street

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do the waterboad have to do the final connection between the 25mm MDPE pipe that I have just had laid in a trench in my garden and the street stop cock or can my plumber do it? There seems to be some confusion between what he says and what my builder neighbours say.

Sponsored Links
Yes the water board have to inspect the installation and make the final connection.
This is done by fusion welding (plastic main) and I doubt whether your plumber will have the equipment :)

Thanks. He said that they would charge for this so just checking :)

Plumbers aren't allowed anywhere near the main connection in the street!
Rahn Lundin they tap a hole in the iron main and use a Ferrule to connect it. Some plumbers connect to the pavement stopcock - also illegal.

Sponsored Links
I had the WA recently connect a 25mm pipe. I told the guys that I needed a decent flowrate so they removed the old cruddy tapped connection to the iron main and replaced.

For obvious reasons they had the shut off the entire street for about 30 mins. Was quite amusing as the man in van drove up and down the street announcing this on a tannoy.

Townes said:
Thanks. He said that they would charge for this so just checking :)

Yeah, and it'll probably be the thick end of £700!

Gotta love monopolies.

Symo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back