Connections for Siemens grill element (revised title)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So here is a lastminute.com plea. I replaced my top element on my Siemens HB750550.B today and like a complete idiot I didnt note down the way the element was connected up. Got sidetracked and when I came back I simply cannot remember how they went. Here is the situation I am in now

2012-12-23-010_zps42045485.jpg

Bearing in mind we have a lot of cooking to do for Xmas day any help at all would be awesome as the Mrs is threaders!

Many thanks in advance from a desperate amatuer, still cant believe I did take note of the fitting! :cry:

Sponsored Links
is it a cooker?

have you got a multimeter (if not, go out in the morning and buy one)

apologies its a Siemens cooker, I have a multimeter bur not sure what I should be looking for. I take it the white ones are earths?

Sponsored Links
I can see four terminals, each with two prongs. What are these attached to? are they supply terminals, or are they attached to a heating element (or more than one)?

so the two outer terminals are for the outer element, and the two inner terminals are for the inner element.

And it is a grill element

Do the controls allow you to choose low and high power? Turning on just the inner one will heat up about half, and turning them both on together will give you full power.

If you can safely determine which of the connectors are switched live, and which are neutral (might be unswitched) you can expect to put the two neutrals on the two terminals at one side, and the two SLs on the terminals at the other side. The length and the existing bends in the wires will give you clues. There might be coloured paint blobs by the terminals on the old or the new element. You should start by disconnecting it from the mains supply, and putting one probe of the meter on the incoming terminals at the back of the cooker, and one on each of the wires in turn as you operate the control knob and look for continuity. If the white ones are all connected together they are more likely to be the neutrals. If it is a fan oven then the fan should also have a neutral or a SL; so should the oven light.

You might find that some of the connectors will not reach some of the terminals, which rules them out.

or you can call an appliance repairman if you are not confident and competent to do it safely.

Yes John, the outer are for one grill and the inner for another, there are 2 settings for the grill which make either the inner come on or both. You have got it spot on :)

I am sure the white ones are neutrals as tracing them back they also form the circuit for the inner oven element and bottom element, both of which dnt work when the top one is isolated.

Would I be correct in saying that the purple would go to the outer far right on the photo, the yellow on the inner? Its the neutrals that confuses me the most as the left side terminals on the photo are the other side of the elements eyt there are 3 neutrals?

you do seem to have one extra neutral

once you have clipped all the others into place, and without bending any of the wires, see where it reaches.

I am expecting an oven light.

post a wider picture.

All fitted up nicely now, many thanks to all for your help. This forum is brilliant ;)

Only other snag I had was that the metal that the grill screws into on the oven ceiling was corroded/worn away so had to access behind it to use some speaker clips for the screws to go into. Its the same for the cover for the rear fan all the screws were just sat in the holes and not actually doing anything. Rear cover cannot be refitted unless I strip the whole oven down to access the rear. Anyone else got any ideas other than larger self tappers?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back