connectting an electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have purchased a new single fan electric oven. The rating plate indictates its 3000W (3.0.kW). Is it ok for me to connect this oven to the mains using a 13amp plug

The oven instructions talk about connecting the oven via a cooker control circuit. i was advised this oven could be connectted to the mains via a standard 13 amp plug.

What is a maximum power for a electric oven to be connectted to the mains using a standard 13amp plug.

thanks

Sponsored Links
yeh no problem pal just make sure that when you do you have adequate life insurance and perhaps are wearing rubber shoes and have strapped green and yellow cable to your body.

I'd say 3kW is the upper limit for an appliance connected via a 13A plug.

The formula is Power=Volts x Amps, so for 230V (the recently changed nominal supply voltage, though you may well find that you still actually have 240V), you can run 230 x 13 = 2990 Watts. This is a little short of 3000W, but if you calculate 240 x 13 you get 3120 Watts.

Your oven probably says something like 3kW @ 240V and slightly less at 230V. In any case, this should be fine, as long as the appliance is protected by no more than a 13A fuse.

The oven is an Electrolux make. This oven does not come with an electric cable. The electric cable that I require needs to have three spade connectors attached (live, Neutral and Earth). This will attach to the Oven.

Can you purchase electric cable with these spade connecters already attached or do I buy the cable and spade connectors separatly.

If I purchase the the cable and spade connectors separatly what is the best way of connecting the spade connectors to the cable.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Spade connectors are applied with a rachet crimping tool, which costs about £25-£30 for a resonable quality one (don't go for the £5 non rachet types or the £12 - £20 really cheap rachet ones)

Use the correct size connector for the wire, the wire sizes for each colour vary sightly, choose the spade connector to suit the wire by going by the spade connector's maker's guidance

Secondly while you can plug your oven in, though IMHO it would be better to have it on a dedicated circuit

super, well you can buy 3KW kettles everywhere i personnally cant see what wrong with as you probably wont be pulling 3KW all the time. terminals are usually screw type not spade tho take another look you may be able to unscrew a terminal or use a spade, maybe. dont understand corgigasmans reply many appliances are 3KW on plug tops

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back