Conservatory build worries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, apologies for asking what might be stupid questions, but I've finally selected a tradesman to build me a conservatory, after much deliberation, and now I'm really concerned I'm getting a bad job.

Basically, they started work when I wasn't there, diggging footings and filling with concrete. I hope they went deep enough, I'll never know. They then moved on to building the walls, outer brick to match the house, and inner blocks as we're having plastered internal walls.

They HAVE NOT done the base at all, they're doing that afterwards they said...

Now, I've got a fully built outer wall, which is nicely finished (mortar pointing) from the outside, but inside you can see lots of gaps in the mortar, and some areas with poor mortar spread. They have done the damp course on the outer wall with engineering brick and some membrane over the last engineering brick, though this is simply a strip of membrane, not attached to the floor (which is not started).

The inner block work has some huge gaps in the mortar, some gaps you can see through to the cavity from inside. There is also no engineering bricks, and no damp membrane material at all.

Finally, the cavity is filled with insulation, which is now soaking from the recent rain.

My concerns are basically...

1. Are gaps in the mortar going to cause me a problem, particularly the gaps on the inner block wall?
2. Is the lack of membrane on the inner blocks a huge problem?
3. Is the insulation going to cope with being wet?
4. Can the floor be laid afterwards without compromising the structure or it's damp/thermal seal?

I'm not even paying a small sum for the conservatory, which is my biggest annoyance. I deliberately ruled out the cheapest quotes as being too cheap!

I'd really like a qualified builder or better still, building inspectors opinion, but I can't really get that now they've started. I've unfortunately also paid up a huge sum of money so they can order the roof (glass) and frames - more or less half now, half on completion.

Thanks in advance, Alan

Sponsored Links
Hi , I have 20 years in the trade building conservatory bases .
get your money back you will have damp through out the whole of the inside.
Regards Lewis

The floor can be put in afterwards. You don't need engineering brincks internally, a membrane can be put in with the floor

The other things are not ideal, but not normally a major issue. Fact and degree comes to mind

You were silly to pay large sums up front to unknown builders

If you are worried, then pay a building surveyor to look at the work in progress and do a brief report

Hi , I have 20 years in the trade building conservatory bases .
get your money back you will have damp through out the whole of the inside.
Regards Lewis

LOL :LOL: You get that conclusion from a few lines of text?

Sponsored Links
You don't need engineering bricks, but you should have a DPC and when they start pouring the concrete a 1200gauge DPM.

Even when engineering bricks are used a DPC is still used.

Blimey, a week of no replies then all these!
Not knowing anything about this sort of thing, it's all instinct. But instinct told me to question them about it.
Net result, is the internal wall has been taken down and rebuilt from 1st bricks upward. The DPM has been put in on those bricks, with a significant overlap of membrane on the inside of the conservatory.
The floor has now gone in, with a membrane all around (thick blue stuff?) but to be fair, I'm still not sure. There was some compacted stuff put down (aparantly) before the membrane went in, then the insulation on top of that. Then no concrete (!!) just the screed with fibres in it? And after less than 24 hours it's being rained on.
I didn't pay upfront, I paid for the order to be placed on the celsius glass roof, as the builder didn't have a credit account on that. It was to cover the roof and the labour and material so far. I didn't really pay so much attention to it until I'd handed over the cash to be fair, but I put my trust in this chap, nice man, seems trustworthy and I had no reason to doubt his work.
The big problem is that he hasn't personally done the work, his men have. Subcontracted it out by the sounds of it.
The conservatory roof should be delivered by this time next week, and then he'll start building it all. At that point, I'll obviously have some leverage before paying any more.
Sigh, I wish I hadn't bothered, really regretting it already

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back