conservatory downlights- void not high enough

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a conservatory fitted and the lights supplied (80mm MR16 12V) state that 100mm is the recommended clearance in the void above to fit. However there isn't 100mm clearance in the ridge void! Are they ignoring this and relying on the ridge being cool enough to loose the heat?

Anyone suggest any other lights than can be fitted in a conservatory ridge void?

Can the transformers also be fitted in the ridge void?

Thanks,

Ian

Sponsored Links
If the conservatory is UPVC I wouldnt ever fit downlights. The conservatory will discolour and maybe melt (is UPVC thermoplastic or thermosetting?)

Halogen lights get VERY hot. Dont fit those downlights and write to conservatory manuf. to ask why they supply downlights which will damage their product.

i recently had a job where downlighters were specified in a conservartory
purpose made void spacers were supplied

the transformers will have to go in the void unless you are going to use some seriously large cable on the elv side from a remote position

Hi Chaps,

Thanks for the replies. By void spacers do you mean round discs approx 10mm thick?

I'm not to worried about the plastic discolouring as I'll get them to change it under waranty if it's an issue.

Thanks,

Ian

Sponsored Links
yes exactly, the discs are used one on another to make sufficient clearance, also use good quality lamps with metal reflection to diect the heat down

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back