conservatory/drainage query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Could anyone give me guidance please?.Weve been told we cant add a conservatory to our new house due to adjoining houses water systems drainage running under through our garden.We cant put in a concrete base because of access, however could we put in a temporary removeable base and a large lean to/ conservatory?. Regards wardyyorks

Sponsored Links
By your description, you have a public sewer running under your garden (very common).

Bad idea to build even a "temporary structure" over a public sewer - in the event of a blockage then the conservatory may have to be removed.

It is possible to build over a public sewer subject to a build over agreement with the relevant water authority.

By your description, you have a public sewer running under your garden (very common).

Bad idea to build even a "temporary structure" over a public sewer - in the event of a blockage then the conservatory may have to be removed.

It is possible to build over a public sewer subject to a build over agreement with the relevant water authority.

Thanks,any idea if there is a high success rate for this,to be granted?. should I have my solicitor check on this in case I end up with a big communal water Bill??

Thanks,any idea if there is a high success rate for this,to be granted?. should I have my solicitor check on this in case I end up with a big communal water Bill??

You won't end up with a 'big communal water bill'. The drain is probably the property of the utility company and, as such, will be their responsibility if anything went wrong with it. That is why you have to get their approval for building over or near it,

Sponsored Links
You could possible go with a steel base see here:
http://www.durabase.co.uk/
They bolt to the house wall and only need a few concrete pads.

I know they do a hinged trap door in the floor for access to manhole covers but they could possibly make the whole floor hinged to give quick full assess to underneath.

Even without a hinged access as long as your flooring could be easily removed (lino or carpet rather than tiles or laminate) it would only take an hour or 2 to take up the floor boards and unbolt a few steel joists to give good access.

And dependant on the position of the concrete pads you may still need a build over agreement

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back