Conservatory dwarf wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at building a self build conservatory and have a simple brickwork question I hope someone can help me with.

The external width of the conservatory wall is 3 meters. Within the brick course layers there will have to be a cut brick, but where do I put it in order to keep the standard running bond pattern?

Can get my head around it!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If possible try to make the wall work bricks, by either tightening or opening the joints slighty, or changing the first full or half brick at the end of the course (known as reverse bond).

If it still dont work, convention is to put the cut in the middle of the wall (or under a window- but not in your case). The cut should be no less than a 3/4 brick. If it is less, then you should reverse bond as above.

But with a conservatory, the cut would be better at the end where it joins the house, or where it can be hidden by a downpipe, or not so visible. In this case you can have a cut of 1/4 brick right at the end of the course - acceptable but it is still not really correct.

You will not apreciate the annoyance of seeing cuts in the wrong place, and a poor/incorrectly bonded wall. :evil:

i would be inclined to try and tighten the perps as it will be tougher to widen them in this case. if the last brick in the middle is a little tight you may be able to nip a bit off.

whatever the case, see what it looks like on a dry run first.

Thanks for your replies - I will give it a go and see what happens. What is the best tool for cutting bricks? bearing in mind I am DIY and not professional. I see there is a bricky tool cutter but not sure if its any good?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
It can depend on the brick.

The brick may have 3 or many holes, and it may not break where you want it to.

A 4" bolster chisel and a quick hit with a lump hammer normally does the trick. Or you can try a brick hammer and give it a couple of taps (or more)

Or check out some of the gear from www.spectratools.co.uk - some of it may be useful for novices

And if you think your thumb is up to it, you can always use the edge of the trowel :eek:

Edit: How could I forget the easiest - a grinder :rolleyes:

agree with ^woody^. some of the 3 hole perf' engineering bricks will most likely break at one of the holes as opposed to where you want it too.

grinder me thinks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back