Conservatory like an oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently moved into a new house and the conservatory is very warm :cool:

We can't afford at the moment to get proper blinds fitted as its the dining room its used daily :D

I've seen some stuff you can put on the windows to help reflect the sun away/keep heat in/out......

Has anyone used this? Does it work? What brands are good/bad?

Thanks in advanced.

Sponsored Links
I've seen some stuff you can put on the windows to help reflect the sun away/keep heat in/out......

Has anyone used this? Does it work? What brands are good/bad?
Yes they do, got mine form here http://www.shop4windowfilms.co.uk/solar.php

or ideally a solar attic fan but only available in USA :cry: but some on ebay are selling them similar

http://cgi.ebay.com.my/SOLAR-BATTER...TORY-ROOF_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ140311744288

or solar inserts which goes inside the polycarbonate roof sections but not cheap
http://www.polysert.co.uk/

Have fitted 2 caravan roof vents on my conservatory roof so hot air can get out

A34452.jpg

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
If it's only the windows you want to do IKEA do some excellent gauze blinds really cheaply. They can cover a drop of 2.4m and come in a variety of widths. I recently used them for a 3.5m run of windows. Total cost was £55.

If you want blinds for the roof be prepared to spend significantly more.

No experience of reflective film but seeing as the claims for it reducing temperature tend to be vague, like you, I'd want a personal recommendation.

The problem with conservatories is that they're meant to get hot and you'll never get them as cool as the rest of the house in summer. They're really designed for growing exotic plants, not eating in. The other downside to them is that they're freezing in winter. Wouldn't have one as a gift, frankly.

No experience of reflective film but seeing as the claims for it reducing temperature tend to be vague, like you, I'd want a personal recommendation.
I was like this at first but fitted them on my 3 velux windows in my roof conversion, works very well

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, the roof part is pitched and corrigated so the heat isn't coming through there!

I'll look into Ikea the place I hate! If I did blinds I kinda wanna do them properly and get the nicely fitting Hilary Blinds style its the price tag that stings :confused:

Thanks for the replies, the roof part is pitched and corrigated so the heat isn't coming through there!
No what's happening is that the heat rises to the roof therefore cannot get out so you need to remove the hot trap air out of the roof section for a cooler conservatory

Hi again. Here's the blinds in all their glory.

We've been very happy with them. Far less prone to picking up cack than Venetian blinds. At this price you can chuck them away when they're filthy.

I agree with masona, though, about getting the heat out. The extension in the photo was originally planned as a conservatory by the wife until I vetoed the idea. We compromised on a proper extension with lots of window, 6" of Celotex in the roof and a Velux for ventilation and even more light. It's very comfortable in all seasons.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back