Conservatory or Orangery?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new to this site but I have a basic question about orangeries & conservatories. I want to add a conservatory to my house, but I'm concerned about saving energy and being as green as I can and also trying to save a bit on fuel bills. I have found a lovely company that makes conservatories and orangeries in Cornwall where I live and they tell me an orangery might be better as it has a lower glass ratio. They also use the most energy efficient glass. I just wanted to get another opinion before I make my decision on this. This is the company I'm talking to - http://www.conservatoriesincornwall.com/orangeries-cornwall.html

Sponsored Links
We assume you are keeping the external door between the dwelling and the conservatory. If you really care as you claim about being green you will not build either a conservatory or a highly glazed extension you would build a normal extension with a few windows. In terms of Building Regulations the definition of a 'conservatory' no longer has a glass/wall areas relationship. Even the best glass in the world will leave it like an oven in the summer and an ice box in the winter. The forum is littered with posters complaining of such uncomfortable conditions and how to solve them and others who resort to having Heath Robinson style conversions of the clear roof into an insulated roof.

Oh and their blurb on Planning is a cut and paste from a thousand other websites and their Building Regs info is out of date.

Then again you could just be a sneaky spammer? :confused:

Hi, I'm new to this site but I have a basic question about orangeries & conservatories. I want to add a conservatory to my house, but I'm concerned about saving energy and being as green as I can and also trying to save a bit on fuel bills

expecting to save money and be green with a conservatory is a bit like taking your 3 kids to school in a helicopter-----------------------------

---------------------one at a time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back