New Orangery Considerations and Challenges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering getting my existing conservatory knocked down and getting an orangery built.

The previous resident of my house was a DIY buff and built his own conservatory, which has poor drainage and insulation. It is built on the side of my existing kitchen extension without its own layer of brick, with plasterboard along the kitchen wall.

Can anyone please advise me on the following considerations?
1. Would I need to arrange the demolition of the conservatory myself, before making enquiries with an orangery firm?
2. Would it be possible to 'cap' the existing electric cables and radiator pipes, so they can be resused in the new orangery? Would this be inadvisable during winter due to water freezing in pipes?

Unfortunetly, the oven is alongside the same wall as the conservatory. So, there will be an air vent behind the conservatory plasterboard wall. I suppose when the orangery gets built, this vent will be blocked up. What options would I have regarding oven ventilation? Would I be forced to install a self-circulating cooker hood? Or, could I get a new vented cooker hood installed - with an air vent going through the GRP flat roof? If the latter, what tradesperson could I approach to perform this task? A kitchen installer or roofer perhaps? Or would I be forced to get a new kitchen installed?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1. no

2. yes no problem -any exposed pipes just make sure they are lagged

3 depending on joists direction and steelwork you could run the extraction through the ceiling void and return up through the orangery flat roof -note you need a special vent for this to avoid condensation forming and running back in

by the way if the orangery is open to the house then you need building regs, so would require foundations inspection and conservatory floor removed if its not to current regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back