Conservatory, pressure of hard core on not so low dwarf wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Could anyone please advice? I am at the moment digging the footings for a 4x3m conservatory which I am building for my mum and dad. I was going to dig 3ft down on top of which I was going to put 10” concrete (reinforced?) as I thought the norm however having dug just 2ft down I am already in clay and was wondering if I need bother going any further?

Additionally the land on which the con is being built slopes away from the property with a difference of 8”-9” from the ground level at the property to the lowest ground level (furthest corner from the house). Above the property g/l there are 4 courses before the dpc there would therefore be 7 (maybe eight) courses from the outside ground level (at the lowest point) to the con dpc (floor level inside the con). I was intending to bring the inside floor level up with hard core as I presume this would be the easiest. My question being are there any problems with this approach? Would the pressure of hardcore on the dwarf wall be too great?

Any help or assistance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers Steve

Sponsored Links
I take it your doing a cavity wall, the inner concrete blocks should be ample,you can even lay a 150 concrete inside then change to 100m above floor level,glad to be a help,could see that a few folks in here was racking there brains for a answer , good luck:)

Cheers bud,

Thanks for your reply and reassurance. I was concerned the side ways force of the hardcore and concrete might push the wall over. I'll press ahead now.

Ive dug a 2ft strip foundation and the ground is full of sticky clay, on top Im placing a 300mm wide block as recommended by J**s*n's (didnt want to advertise lol) them I'll build up with a couple of courses of concrete eng bricks then the facin brick above g/l. There will be a cavity but because the block is only 300mm wide it will be less than a brick and a half at the reveal, although only by some 30mm or so.

This is my first big job and I'll a little nervouse about the whole thing. 3 years at evening classses doing City & Guilds trowel skills doesnt equip you for these kind of projects.

Thanks once again for your help

Cheers mate

Cheers bud,

Thanks for your reply and reassurance. I was concerned the side ways force of the hardcore and concrete might push the wall over. I'll press ahead now.

Ive dug a 2ft strip foundation and the ground is full of sticky clay, on top Im placing a 300mm wide block as recommended by J**s*n's (didnt want to advertise lol) them I'll build up with a couple of courses of concrete eng bricks then the facin brick above g/l. There will be a cavity but because the block is only 300mm wide it will be less than a brick and a half at the reveal, although only by some 30mm or so.

This is my first big job and I'll a little nervouse about the whole thing. 3 years at evening classses doing City & Guilds trowel skills doesnt equip you for these kind of projects.

Thanks once again for your help

Cheers mate
like i said on the inner skin where its deep you can lay a few extra blocks beside them even on top o the old clay crap or just throw some dampish ballast cement mix just to toughen it up, good luck on your project :)

Sponsored Links
Ah I got yah, I see where your coming from. Thats is a better idea. I'll give it a go. I may post some pictures to the projects part of the site.
Thanks once again

Hi,

Could anyone please advice? I am at the moment digging the footings for a 4x3m conservatory which I am building for my mum and dad. I was going to dig 3ft down on top of which I was going to put 10” concrete (reinforced?) as I thought the norm however having dug just 2ft down I am already in clay and was wondering if I need bother going any further?

Additionally the land on which the con is being built slopes away from the property with a difference of 8”-9” from the ground level at the property to the lowest ground level (furthest corner from the house). Above the property g/l there are 4 courses before the dpc there would therefore be 7 (maybe eight) courses from the outside ground level (at the lowest point) to the con dpc (floor level inside the con). I was intending to bring the inside floor level up with hard core as I presume this would be the easiest. My question being are there any problems with this approach? Would the pressure of hardcore on the dwarf wall be too great?

Any help or assistance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers Steve

Or you could fit a suspended floor?

Wow, suspended floor that scares me. Its a great idea but I wouldnt know were to start. I did read on one post that some conservatorys dont suit suspended floors because of the heat? I was left even more confused. Thanks for that anyway. I'll try doin some searches on the net. Ive dug the trecnch which Im happy with so I'll be gettin concrete sorted next week.

Cheers mate

Wow, suspended floor that scares me. Its a great idea but I wouldnt know were to start. I did read on one post that some conservatorys dont suit suspended floors because of the heat? I was left even more confused. Thanks for that anyway. I'll try doin some searches on the net. Ive dug the trecnch which Im happy with so I'll be gettin concrete sorted next week.

Cheers mate
joists are quite simple cross, might even be cheaper and warmer, depending what your having on floor, ie tiles for a solid floor but wooden flooring go for suspended wooden as previous stated :) send some pictures lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back