Conservatory roof repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've been avoiding the inevitable since moving here a few years ago, but with the long dry spell, I have made a start on dealing with the rot and leaks in my conservatory.

The main problem is that the seals in the roof extrusions have perished. My predecessor tried to solve it by adding loads of bitumen, silicone and flashings over the existing extrusions and similarly at the junction between house and conservatory roof.
I'm going to replace the extrusions, so I need to be able to remove them, but as you can see, the extrusions extend underneath the lowest row of tiles, so I think I have to completely strip the area along the junction.
Can any experts give any advice on the best way to do this with minimal disruption? I started to remove the tiles below the dormer window, but I don't think this will enable the whole zone to be cleared. Is it possible to remove say just the third line of tiles, and all those below? How easy will it be to reinstate them? Any help much appreciated, thanks
roof 2.jpg
roof 1.jpg

Sponsored Links
The bars extend to the face of the original facia. They added 1" board to the front of the facia to support the rafters. Predecessor also fitted polystyrene to the underside, it helps to stop the oven effect in the summer. I'm hoping to be able to renew the aluminium bars without having to take it all out.
roof 3.jpg

I got the bottom slate off, you can see the felt flaps over the facia board.
My main concern is the house roof, how to get the bottom rows of tiles off and reinstate them without having to strip/relay the entire roof. Do I have to hacksaw off the nail heads on row three and then use nailed strips to support them when I put them back?
roof 4.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ok, thanks, I wasn't sure if there was a better way. I made a slate rip out of an old saw, grinding out the hanger hole into a slot. Seems to work ok. Would the glue be for the bottom corners of the slates - instead of a nailed lead bib?

Hi Reg
You can use an old saw that you don't think much of to cut the nails on the third row if they are reasonably soft. If you are happy with using copper/lead straps then you don't need the glue, if the pitch of your cony roof is shallow then I would suggest sticking flash band to the cony roof and under the slates 6"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back