Conservatory roof replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning

Appreciate a bit of advice.

My parents are looking to replace their existing conservatory roof. It’s polycarbonate and approx 12 years old.

The conservatory is a straightforward lean to style approx 7m wide by 2m deep and comprises of 7 sheets around 1m by 2m, 7 glazing bars and two end stops where the roof meets the side walls (cavity brickwork).

They have had a couple of local double glazing firms come around to quote.

The first pushed to price for a glass roof (fair enough it had been considered as a possibility) but also tried to up sell a lot of additional (lighting and so on). They rang back with a price (nothing in writing) which I feel is excessive.

The second priced for both glass and polycarbonate. Price for glass similar to First quote but price for polycarbonate about 20% less. Again nothing in writing. I suggested to my Dad he needs it writing so we can compare like for like so he asked for it and the quote says “new roof = £xxxxk”. There’s no breakdown for labour, materials, no details of exactly what is being done, no spec for the polycarbonate etc. So I’m a little uneasy with this.

Apparently he has spoke to another company who aren’t interested in doing it (they only do the lightweight tiles roofs) but they have said the price for the polycarbonate from company two (don’t ask how he knows what the price is) is good because “you can’t compare online prices of polycarbonate as the stuff they provide is 3 times more expensive, is unavailable to diyers etc etc” which I believe is BS to be honest.

So am I unreasonable in expecting a detailed price in writing with a breakdown and spec including materials and labour?

Also I have invariably priced it up in my head and I’m coming in at around £2k materials which I believe is generous and £1.5k labour (both have so far said it’s a day and a half maximum). Am I in the right field or miles off?

There’s no access issues, no parking restrictions and we are in the north west England.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the nature of the works just sliding out the old sheets and putting new sheets in their stead?
From looking at Toolstation that seems to come to about £300-400 materials depending on whether it's under or over 2m when you take the angle into account.
Frankly I'd have thought this would take less than a day even for completely unskilled labour.
Naturally if you replace with glass you may well have to replace or reinforce the structure which is a different story altogether.

Edit: I think it's more likely to be 16mm thick than the 6mm I checked before so would be £500-700

Last edited:
Thanks for replying.
The task is removal of existing polycarbonate (not disposal as this is to be repurposed down the allotment) and existing roof bars etc and replace with new. Existing cavity tray and lead flashing, existing wall plate etc.

I priced what I consider a premium polycarbonate sheet (about £130 each) so £1k for 7 plus another £1k for glazing beams/bars, fixings etc then an amount for labour.

Fortunately they have had a much more competitive quote from another local company yesterday, in keeping with my initial guesstimate.

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back