Considering laying engineering flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Sorry if this has been asked before, i did a search, but couldnt find what i needed.

Basically i have a solid concrete floor all the way through the house ground floor, and paquet blocks in three of the rooms off the hallway which is currently carpeted.

I am considering laying 21mm engineered oak into the hallway floor.

My question is, how do people normally deal with the drop that will be created, of approx 21mm + underlay, down from the hallway into the rooms with parquet blocks? I cant very well raise those (sitting on solid floor) and i am not sure i can dig down 21mm in the hall either. The solid floor in the hall is a combination of tarazo, screed/cement, parquet blocks (house was chopped/extended in mid-90's).

I guess only option is digging down hall floor or living with drop?

Thanks, any suggestions much appreciated. Flooring company suggested solid but sanding it down at doorways to make less of a drop!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ask a local joiner to make you bespoke "ramps" and use these as thresholds

If you have a high step as in your case most off the shelf threshold ramps will not do 20+mm and even if they do the ramp is too short and steep.
I have always had miss matches in floor height over the years with different rooms catching up with others. From my hall to dining room it was +14mm and you do get used to it. infact I have just removed the higher one to go through the whole lot in one leavel and I was stepping funny on to the heigher floor that was no longer there !

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone for the ideas

I am going to look at a threshold as advised, and make the drop fairly long across the door threshold so not so noticeable, hopefully.. i.e. over 20cm or so.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back