Considering engineered oak for the hall..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Currently in the process of decorating our hallway, which is about 8 metres long and between 1 and 2.5 metres wide (opens out). As the bungalow has been chopped about over the years, the floor in the hall currently consists of the following surfaces (under the carpet / underlay).

Parquet blocks
Screed/cement surface
Terrazo (old kitchen or entrance way)

Have added a floor plan of the hall to demonstrate the distribution of the 3 surfaces.

There is minor damp at the base of some of the walls.

I was considering laying a DPM sheet over the floor (including parquet blocks) then putting the engineered boards over top.

Or should i rip up the parquet blocks (and terrazo?) and lay a new surface? Reluctant to do this for financial and mostly distruption reasons. Also the floor is reasonably level as it is at the moment.

The board I am considering is 21mm engineered, and is very stable.

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
NEVER EVER install a DPM over parquet blocks! This will restrict the natural evaporation of moist in the concrete/blocks and will cause problems in the long run

How about painting a liquid dpm over the concrete and then using a foam (without DPM) underlayment over everything

Thanks. Thought there might be some issue like that.

Selective liquid DPM is a good idea.

There is minor damp at the skirting level near the parquet blocks.. not enough to rot them, but i could put some liquid dpm down there too i guess. I suspect its either rising damp (looong strong not going into it here) or possibly the front door/porch area water ingress.

Selective DPM it is.

Thanks again, nice one.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back