Constant Boiler Probs........Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Im having constant probs with my Worcester 24cdi. There has been constant leaks on and off for the past 18 months which when we fix 1 another appears about a month later elsewhere. :confused:

We have had probs with the water not being hot enough and pressure probs to.

We have had a valve replaced ontop recently to as this was leaking to!

The boiler is about 10 years old and looks like its been patched up in places.

I will be honest ive not had it serviced in the 3 years that ive lived here so my questions are:

1. Do we get a new boiler....if so whats the cheapest and best combi?
or
2. Have the boiler completely overhauled??

Please help as we have just switched it off as another leak started today, so we have no hot water or heating!!! :cry:

Many Thanks in advance.

P.S im a pen pusher so im not very technical with boilers etc!!!

Sponsored Links
no im afraid its the worst boiler worcester has ever made, after the highflow of course.

if you want me to list the reasons why i will but i think we all know the main reasons.

a 10 yr old cdi can still be useful and reasonably reliable.

a ropey 10 yr old cdi with poor service history is a leaking sieve with a bucket load of problems to come. if you have the money ditch it.

Just replaced one with a 37CDi.

Gave the serial number to WB who siad it had been installed at Jan 1998.

Gas board told the woman it was knacked due to poor hot water flow and leaking from inside the boiler I.E. uneconomical to repair and then promptly quoted here over £4K for a replacement.

Upon changing the boiler I noticed that the cold main was going into the hot supply via a mixer shower...... :LOL:

Ho hum.

Customer tad ****ed :evil:

Sponsored Links

Gas board told the woman it was knacked due to poor hot water flow and leaking from inside the boiler I.E. uneconomical to repair and then promptly quoted here over £4K for a replacement.

Upon changing the boiler I noticed that the cold main was going into the hot supply via a mixer shower...... :LOL:

Ho hum.

Customer tad p****d :evil:

but you didnt notice this before you replaced the boiler either?

ho hum :rolleyes:

Ho hum.

Why would I?Problem only became apparent when the old boiler was removed.

No way am I going to crawl over a job that I had no input into.

I was simply asked to quote for a new boiler on the basis of advice from BG which I did and which was accepted.

Because I repair boilers I often repair boilers for people who call for a quote to replace.

Some of the most stupid faults are used as an excuse for replacing boilers.

Tony

Ho hum.

Why would I?Problem only became apparent when the old boiler was removed.

No way am I going to crawl over a job that I had no input into.

I was simply asked to quote for a new boiler on the basis of advice from BG which I did and which was accepted.

you dont like to do a lot of homework on your jobs do you?

excellent customer service, keep it up.

Come on, you are being unreasonable.

If a customer wants a new boiler, already has a quote, are they going to want you probing round for the original fault? Usually not, and if you disturb anything you are liable.

It's very easy being high and mighty, you would have done this and that. Easily said, I'm sure you also help old ladies across the road, pick up other peoples litter and make countless anonymous donations for charity.

Some of the rest of us have limited time and do our utmost to give the customer what they want before they leave to pick the kids up, eg: a quote for the right product and the right price in the right place.

ok, fair point.

just find it strange for him to whine about BG's incompetence whilst at the same time just takes their word for it before changing the boiler.

personally i would have checked the fault myself. seems he didnt want to and instead wanted the very install that he berates BG for going for.

ill admit that BG could have been wrong in refusing the repair though. there is no such thing as uneconomical to repair, either the part is there or its not. if there wasnt another reason then its been misquoted.

Can you tell us how many DIFFERENT leaks there have been and where they were?
If you are considering replacing a cdi with a cheap boiler, keep your cdi.

Unfortunately as with most things, the best and the cheapest are 2 very different things. Opinions about the best one are rather devided, but I think there is a general consensus that Ideal is the champion of bad.

If you have that many problems with your current boiler, it is almost sure that it was installed poorly and it will take a lot more than just swapping the boiler to improve things.
To get a good boiler properly installed and correct all the current problems that would also ruine your new boiler, my guess is you would be looking at around 3 grand.

Come on, you are being unreasonable.

If a customer wants a new boiler, already has a quote, are they going to want you probing round for the original fault? Usually not, and if you disturb anything you are liable.

It's very easy being high and mighty, you would have done this and that. Easily said, I'm sure you also help old ladies across the road, pick up other peoples litter and make countless anonymous donations for charity.

Some of the rest of us have limited time and do our utmost to give the customer what they want before they leave to pick the kids up, eg: a quote for the right product and the right price in the right place.

Cheers mate.

Seems I've rattled a few cages here so this is my last post.

Can't be bothered with this nonsense.

Best of luck.

Tony.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies........ive been quoted from British gas £32.50 per month to fix whatever is wrong with my boiler and to have the boiler insurance for 1 year!!!

What do you guys think about that??

They have also said that if an engineer comes out and decides that the boiler would need replacing that they will not charge me for the call out and will give a discount on a new boiler!!!!

Seems the best option but what do you think??

they have put you on a 3fxp contract then.

might be worth while in your case as it sounds like it leaks every week. just be careful that its not the water quality thats causing all the seals to rot. thats when they will start refusing work. otherwise you should get your moneys worth.

I am with nickso on this one it does make me laugh when people slag BG or independents for doing something then go and do exact same thing.

First rule of any change over is to ask the customer WHY they want a new boiler. reason being is exactly for what tonyboy pointed out it MAY have a fault elsewhere and who is going to look the fool after when new boiler does not do as it is meant to.
Have repaired dozens of what could have been far more profitable change overs to boilers that had years left in them . Ok you lose the job then but you get ten fold back when the customer gives your number to everyone saying this guy will not rip you off and just take your money.
If the customer still want to go ahead with change at least they have been properly informed and it is still their choice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back