Constant drip from external bath / sink waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

We noticed a drip from where the waste pipe connects to the soil pipe on the outside of the house. The sealent had failed, but ive now discovered the leak is constand even when the sink or bath/shower is not running. There are no dripping taps inside the house, so im pretty baffled.

Any ideas what i can do to resolve this!?

thank you!

J

Sponsored Links
Here's the photo.

It's a slow drip, but if I run the tap or shower in the bathroom it gushes out. I turned off the water and the drip seems to slow further, but is still there.

I'm wondering if somehow it's related to water in the toliet cistern but the toilet is attached to the main waste so not sure how this can be the case.

Also - any advide on best method to reseal this pipe joint? i think the boss connector is glued into the soil pipe - i cant seem to move it. its been painted over for sure.

V confused!

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20201026_114905.jpg
    20201026_114905.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
You might be able to obtain a rubber seal, but you’d have to know the make (which has been painted over). I’d go with replacing the bossed connection - looks like the toilet isn’t connected to it where the boss is. Is the toilet connection higher? If so check the overflow, see if that’s trickling in.

Sponsored Links
Hi Chris- as far as i can tell the toilet is connected straight into the soil pipe, as it is located on the same wall as the external soil pipe. Also the overflow pipe comes out on the other wall, so i dont think its that. Cant see how the bath or the tap could be causing the drip though!

Not sure how in going to get that bossed connector out, it seems pretty attached! :/

Just needs the paint breaking off, then the whole bossed pipe piece should be able to be removed as it appears to be push fit.

Ok I'll give it a go.

The question remains as to why there is a slow drip leak from the waste pipe in the first place!

Thanks for your help so far

As previously stated,remove the boss and replace with a new one,any leaks will then stop.Also to answer your question regarding dripping water,it’s a waste pipe that carries water etc on a regular basis. Every drop of water will not go through the waste pipe into the drain straight away. Even if you didn’t use your toilet or basin for ages and then cut into that pipe you would still get water in there.

Last edited:
o kthanks - i was just checking that i didnt have a leak somewhere that i should be worried about. i will try to sort out the new boss connector. thank you john!

Do you have a gas fired condensing boiler ,in close proximity to the bath/
basin waste pipework ? If so ,it's condensate may be connected to the waste pipe.
Are there brackets supporting the waste pipe ,it appears to be hanging loose ?

hi terry - the boiler outlet is close by but its not connected - yes its hanging lose as i pulled it apart to evaluate it - and the seal has failed. hopefully i new boss will sort it!

Boss looks to me like the glued in type, with a rubber seal in the socket, Terrain were like that, had a locating tab on the boss to ensure you fitted it the right way round. I very much doubt it'll come apart. I'd smear some silicone round the boss and the end of the pipe and reinsert it, tying it up in a similar manner as you've done already to hold the pipe in place, then a bead of silicone around the joint, then if you can keep it dry, (i.e. not flush or discharge any water for 24 hrs), it may seal. Failing that, Denso tape will seal it but wont look pretty.

If all else fails, it'll be cut out that section of the stack and graft a new section in, complete with a new boss.

+1, certainly looks like a solvent welded boss adapter so it won't be coming out easily, as suggested.

Just looking at the boss pipe though, if that's a 4 way push fit then you may be able to twist the whole pipe 90/180 deg and use the opposite boss for a new adapter and then just cap a small piece of pipe and glue/silicone it into the old boss.

Going by the paint on the waste pipe it has never been fitted properly and is about 2 inches short, if you have enough play to gain this, remove the paint and chamfer the end of the pipe and lubricate it, clean the inside of the boss and push the pipe home where it should be.

boss_LI.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back