constant humming in pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a constant humming in my pipes even when my central heating is off, I have a Halsted 50 located in the ground floor(kitchen) The sound is constant and sounds like pipes that have a flow through them, any thoughts will be helpful.

Sponsored Links
bbobat said:
I have a constant humming in my pipes even when my central heating is off, I have a Halsted 50 located in the ground floor(kitchen) The sound is constant and sounds like pipes that have a flow through them, any thoughts will be helpful.

A though might be to include more information. Perhaps stating wheter you have checked your boiler for noise (i.e. if its still running due to malfunction). Which pipes emit the noise (i.e. CH, or mains water, or hot water)? Have you tried turning the boiler off at the switch. How loud is the noise? Does it ever stop? Does the noise change when the CH is on.

Just saying there's a humming in the pipe is, well, too succinct for an accurate diagnosis. It's the equivalent of just saying: "I heard a noise, what is it?"

To all 'post-ers', we don't ask you to include details such as the diameter of Hitler's left b*llock, but when you post questions, we would like some more information on the details of your problem, perhaps steps you have already performed to find or eliminate the problem.

Sterose wrote

bbobat wrote:

A though might be to include more information. Perhaps stating wheter you have checked your boiler for noise (i.e. if its still running due to malfunction). Which pipes emit the noise (i.e. CH, or mains water, or hot water)? Have you tried turning the boiler off at the switch. How loud is the noise? Does it ever stop? Does the noise change when the CH is on.

Just saying there's a humming in the pipe is, well, too succinct for an accurate diagnosis. It's the equivalent of just saying: "I heard a noise, what is it?"

To all 'post-ers', we don't ask you to include details such as the diameter of Hitler's left b*llock, but when you post questions, we would like some more information on the details of your problem, perhaps steps you have already performed to find or eliminate the problem.

And, you "post-ers", don't worry if you didn't see the words when you wrote them, as you'll get a chance to read them all again when they're quoted. :D :D

bbobat - is the pump running when the boiler is off (and cold)?

Sponsored Links
the central heating is controlled by the timer and when the timer is off i can hear the humming more, the boiler is silent, i have checked that all of the radiators are cold and that they are, the humming flow noise seems to emit from every pipe connected to a radiator sorry for my naivity on this matter but I am foreign and come from a land of no central heating,
thanks for all your comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back