Constant quiet ringing noise in all rooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I have a constant but quiet ringing noise in all rooms, I've turned both water supply and electricity off but the noise remains. I had new water supply pipe fitted recently, could the noise be from that travelling through all the central heating pipework even with the stopcock turned off? I'm scared it could even be a leak from the central heating pipes under the floor as it's an f&e system with tank in loft. Any advice greatly appreciated before I call out plumber. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I can’t see any water leaks causing this, but your central heating pump could be responsible ....is everything silent with the heating off?
Please don’t panic about this!
John

Do you have a battery operated doorbell?
Mine has a very faint buzz that drove me mad until I discovered it.
I was the only one who could hear it and my wife thought I was mad.
Turned out my hearing is better than it should be at my age.
Anyhow, look for any battery operated device and let us know.

Sponsored Links
Just to confirm: you have disconnected the electricity at the main.
Dropped main lever down on the consumer unit so everything is totally off.
Correct?

Yes, main switch turned off to house. Cold water supply pipe turned off to house.

Have your neighbours mentioned anything?
Fridge compressors do make a tinkling sound, a good description from you!
However with the electric switched off, this rules this out.
Your house will have two water stopcocks......one in your house and one in the road area outside. It could be worth while turning this one off, although a special key is needed for this.
John

Yes, main switch turned off to house. Cold water supply pipe turned off to house.
If that's the case then it has to be external, either that or it's a wind noise against a window or similar external factor.

When you saying ringing, do you mean like a bell or like a tube being tapped or a chime or something like that?

@Madrab It's a constant hum kind of ring like the noise the fridge makes but quieter as though under the floorboards but still there with power off to house.

@Burnerman No the neighbours can hear it in my house but not in theirs. The new water connection in the kerb doesn't need a special tool it's just two turns of a plastic key. Someone suggested it could be high pressure noise travelling up the new supply pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back