construction of internal wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My actual issue is that I am attempting to put up shelves and have hit something metal immediately behind the plasterboard of an internal wall.
I want to determine what this is likely to be.

The house is 12 years old and this is an internal non load-bearing wall on the top floor of the house. using a wire detector it appears that the metal runs vertically the whole height of the wall. I could re-position the shelf horizontally, but it wouldn't be very convenient.

My question is what is this metal likely to be in a standard modern internal wall?

This is well away from the corner of the room. The only thing on this side of the wall is a socket much lower down which is not in line with the metal in the wall. I checked the socket wires and they go down as expected and not up towards the shelf position.

The other side of the wall is a bathroom, but no furniture on that wall except a radiator. So is there any metal that is used as standard in the construction of an internal plasterboard wall? I want to know whether I can risk drilling through it.

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
You will have a metal stud grid system rather than the more traditional timber stud-work.
It is not uncommon!

There are screws that will penetrate this structure.
GypWall-QUIET-SF.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back