CONSUMER UNIT/BOX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a direct supply to my electric shower from the CU but it is a very old fuse box and there is no space to put another fuse. I'm thinking to putting in a new consumer box but there is not enough space on the backboard where the meter is fitted. The distributor for the meter is charging 500 to change the backboard and move the meter along slightly.

What are my options, if any, for direct supply to the shower?

Sponsored Links
Are you competant? Have you heard of & aware that, what you require falls under part p legislation.

Also note that that backboard belongs to the distributor and you are not supposed to fix your own equipment to it - unless they have granted you permission, of course.

One option is to fit a second CU nearby and use a pair of Henley blocks to split the feed from the meter to the two CUs. You will, of course, notify this to LABC before commencing work and pay their inspect and test fees. And don't forget to upgrade earthing and MEB as the same time, of course.

You will need to get your DNO to isolate the supply so that you can work on the tails, and reconnect afterwards - ideally get them to fit a DP isolator when they come to isolate so that all you need to do is connect up and switch on without them having to come back.

Alternatively, employ a electrician to do the job for you and avoid all the LABC hassle.

What are my options
Get a spaks in to give advise & quote.

The cu doesnt have to go on the meter backboard, you can move it's location so a new larger unit will fit. Or split the meter tails & install a small shower cu.
But dont forget the Main equip bonding / supplimentary bonding / testing / certification & part P notification.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back