consumer unit help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Frther to previous posting, got my local LABC to approve re-wire job im about to do after paying £250.

ive just boughta crabtree starbreaker, split load unit.

i wanted to know if the neutral and earth wires have to go in the corresponding numbered connectors?

there are 12 N connections and 13 E connections that are numbered plus 2 marked E and the main earth incomer.

also should i consider fitting an in-line main isolator?

is a 63A RCCb fine for a shower and upstairsand downstairs sockets?

Sponsored Links
the earth and neutral terminals should all correspond with each other including MCB'S.

as for inline main isolator its a good idea specially if your up grading the meter tails it saves cutting the meter seals.

remember to upgrade your earthing conductors 16mm supply earth 10mm main bonding

sime27 said:
the earth and neutral terminals should all correspond with each other including MCB'S.

as for inline main isolator its a good idea specially if your up grading the meter tails it saves cutting the meter seals.

remember to upgrade your earthing conductors 16mm supply earth 10mm main bonding

where can i get an isolaotr from, cant seem to find any

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Consumer_Units_Index/Mk_Sentry_Mcb_and_Accessories/index.html

Plus an enclosure. I use a four module enclosure with closeable lid:

1106092116_iso.jpg

Sponsored Links
Your meter tails are probably rated at 100A; the suppliers fuseholder is probably marked 100A, so get a 100A isolator.

Once it's fitted you won't ever want to remove it.

£13.20 sounds a bit expensive to me.

If you're buying from Screwfix, Crabtree and MK are their better brands.

JohnD said:
Your meter tails are probably rated at 100A; the suppliers fuseholder is probably marked 100A, so get a 100A isolator.

Once it's fitted you won't ever want to remove it.

£13.20 sounds a bit expensive to me.

If you're buying from Screwfix, Crabtree and MK are their better brands.

How much should it and any any links to stuff?

they only seem to have Wylex for 2way enclosures.

its £7.20 for a 100A main isolator and £11 for a seperate enclosure

Perhaps it's because I'm not used to the waterproof enclosures. I can see the advantage over the cheaper IP40 enclosure, though, as the switch dolly is covered.

Any 100a switch will fit in any DIN-rail enclosure, though some people will say you must use the same brand as they have been type-tested together.

If you see a 4-module enclosure you like, that will also be fine but you must fit the two plastic blanks to prevent anyone poking a finger inside.

JohnD said:
Perhaps it's because I'm not used to the waterproof enclosures. I can see the advantage over the cheaper IP40 enclosure, though, as the switch dolly is covered.

Any 100a switch will fit in any DIN-rail enclosure, though some people will say you must use the same brand as they have been type-tested together.

If you see a 4-module enclosure you like, that will also be fine but you must fit the two plastic blanks to prevent anyone poking a finger inside.

well will try some local shops 2moro, if not then it will have to be the wylex from SF

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back