Consumer unit in wooden workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to run light and power to a new shed and have bought a Contactum insulated consumer unit. I will put in lights and sockets and get a qualified electrician to connect up. I appreciate that the sparks will know but I am intrigued - there only appear to be live and neutral connections in the ICU. Shouldn't there be earth connections as well? If not, what is the earth from the supply cable connnected to please? Sorry if this is a stupid question but it has been nagging me!

Sponsored Links
If you look more closely, I think you will find there are (at least) two brass terminal bars. One will be marked "N" and one will be marked "E" (or with the upside-down Christmas tree symbol for "Earth").

Thanks John. I might be cracking up but cannot see a second group of terminals.
There is the main unit, with the test button, and two 'add on' units, one for 6 amp and one for 32 amp.
At the top of the 'add on' units there is one screw terminal for 6 amp, one for 32 amp (presumably the live outlets). On the main unit there is one marked '1' and one marked 'N'. I am assuming that the latter are the live and neutral inputs.
At the bottom of the main unit there a screw terminal marked 'N' which has a brass connector fitted in to it. This has three screw terminals. I thought these would be for the neutral wire for the two outlets (though don't know why there is a third). The main unit also has a terminal marked '2'.
There is a brass 'link' connector which joins terminal '2' with the bottom terminals for both of the 'add on' units. This link connector has a plasitc cover marked ' Switch off before removing this cover'. There doesn't appear to be any terminal with an earth mark.
Help!

Geoff

Sponsored Links
Flubadub said:
I wish to run light and power to a new shed
...main unit... two 'add on' units... presumably the live outlets... brass 'link' connector...

Strewth!

I am really concerned that you are contemplating carrying out legally controlled work when you don't appear to know even the basic terminology. (Everybody who says they will 'get an electrician in to connect up' has obviously not spoken to said electrician yet.)

There is a lot more to outside power than joining blue to blue and brown to brown.

And before you go any further you should read THIS

Thanks Dingbat, your point is appreciated. I intended only to route the cables, strip lights and sockets, with all of the wiring visible for the sparks to see (1.28 of regulations) prior to connection, on the basis that lifting paving slabs to put in armoured cable is not likely to come high on the electrician's list of tasks he loves, though he must be able see everything which is there (and I can put the paving back later).
My query re the earth was not (I promise!) because I wanted to put in the consumer unit, only that I was interested.
To each man his trade, I will await the arrival of the electrician.

Sorry guys, it must appear that I have been very rude not responding but major PC problems, now sorted, thank goodness.
In the meantime, I have had a sparks fit the CU and I now have light and power. The connctions were logical, but the reason I could not immediately see the earth connections was that I had the innards of the box in front of me, with the case provisionally fitted to the shed (so I was able to ensure it wasn't going to be in the way when I amended the door layout). The earth, of course, was in the casing, not part of the innards.
Thanks
Geoff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back