Consumer Unit question....

Sponsored Links
Thanks Adam, i've no web site so 2nd option was to send them as an attachment on an e mail to the important people in admin at DIYnot !!! - so i've done just that, now to wait and see if it all works :confused:

on the thread I've linked to, there is a post by ban-all-sheds to a free image hosting service, thats the best way to do it if you haven't got a website :)

electricalkid said:
ps have taken a snap of the CU and downloaded it onto my computer but don't know how to move it over to this thread so you can have lookie see - any ideas. Thanks

RTFM
-
-

Sponsored Links
electricalkid said:
If i'm stuck with having to retain the MEM can anybody let me know where I can get a few at low cost ?? - cheers
What do your usual wholesaler(s) say?

I don`t think your going to find anything in the way of MCB`s to fit a Memera 3 board.
In your original post you commented on the replcement fuses being expensive, Out of interest how much have you been paying?
A quick scan on the net reveals approx £1.50 each, you could order one of each size required as spares.....and in turn replace your stock of these one at a time as you use them.

Hi Colport - £1.50 each eh !! - yep, it's a lot cheaper than I pay (when I can get them) but not merely as cheap as re-wiring an old style fuse or flippin a switch or pressing a button on mcb's !! - would prefer to get a set of mcb to fit the Memera 3 :cry: :cry:

I'd like to know why you have such a problem with fuses operating.

Apart from my lighting ones, I have never had an MCB trip in my house...

Well BAS - that's something I would like to know as well. If you refer back to my original missive, I explained that all this is in a house I rent out. The tenants phoned me to say all the ring main had fused, and would I sort it out, being the nice landlord that I am, I went round and put in a new fuse. I explained that they could have overloaded the system, had a faulty appliance, iron, fridge freezer etc - but of course they wouldn't have that, merely said it was my house and to get it sorted. Later the same evening they phoned again to say the ring main had gone again. I got an electrician out who said he could find no fault in the house wiring - so we had a stalemate. I don't know why the damn fuses kept blowing, so I thought to avoid this situation again it would be much the best idea to get some mini circuit breakers, so in future the tenants can sort the problem themselves by pushing the button in and save me an unnessary 15 mile round trip. It doesn't look like i'm able to have mcb in this cu i've got, so I will have to put up with the position or have a newer CU installed - what say you ??

If you have a certificate proving that there is nothing wrong with the installation is it your responsibility to replace the fuses if your tenants do something to make them blow?

Is it one ring main for the whole house, or one upstairs and one down?

Assuming there isn't an electric cooker or an immersion heater wickedly connected to the ring, I'd suspect either a few big loads like a tumbledrier and a washing machine and a dishwasher all on their heating cycles at the same time; or several 3kw electric heaters going full blast (especially at this time of year, and especially if there's a heater in the shed or garage). More than 3 big loads will push your fuse over the edge. You'd best lay in a stock of fuses (they're cheaper by the gross!) in case anyone's tempted to insert the 800A slow-blow fuse we know about.

How is the house heated?

edited to add: but you're probably right, have a new CU fitted with MCBs and an RCD, let them reset it themselves for the price of a couple of journeys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back