consumer unit rcb

the boiler is connected to a permanent fused switch which situated next to it in the loft. the only wiring I see that goes up there is the earth but that's bonding as its attached to copper.

don't suppose the fused switch has a neon on it? This could make it easier for you to identify which circuit it comes from

Sponsored Links
That could change things somewhat.

The MCB that is missing from the hole would more than likely have been a B32.

It has been known for (some) electricians to move a circuit that is causing an RCD to trip to a non-rcd circuit (often 'temporarily' but then becomes permanent).

If it turns out that when you turn this MCB off, socket outlets go off, I would get an electrician in at your earliest convenience to do some investigation

Do you have a copy of the inspection report that was completed prior to you moving in?

Sponsored Links
GALLERY]

From looking at the circuit schedule it seems the breaker was moved after the inspection. Have you had anyone in to fix faults etc?

no this report was completed a year before i moved in so yes looks like its changed since the report and before i moved in.

Is there any concern or reason the circuit is taken off the rcd? Could I just leave it as it is?

Still have a feeling it has something to do with the boiler installation as that is a recent addition. Nevertheless I will flick it off tomorrow when im home and see what happens. Hopefully half the sockets wont turn off!

I'm afraid it all looks to be pointing towards it being the sockets.

if it is, then I would guess it has been done because there is a fault on the circuit that you need to get resolved ASAP. Also, I wouldn't want to use any sockets that were not RCD protected. Lots of reasons & regulations to have them RCD protected

Bottom line, if it is the sockets, get an electrician in before the fault gets worse and you loose the sockets entirely

i have a gas safe certified report but nothing about electrics. I am still optimistic and will switch it off tomorrow and see what happens. surely if it was such a bodge job the electrician wouldn't be so kind to put a sticker on the mcb saying not protected (wouldn't they want to hide the fact it was a sub standard!)

that sticker was probably put there by the original installer to show that any circuit installed in that way would be non-rcd protected.

It may not have been intended as a bodge - it could have been done as a temporary measure to get the circuit back online, and then the customer refused to pay for any more troubleshooting / fault finding so that's the way it stayed

ok thanks for everyone's help.

to be honest the electrics are a lot better than my old place which still had bakerlite re-wireable fuses!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back