consumer unit regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi..i am thinking of having my consumer unit changed...but do not want one with a split load...is it in the regs that any new conumer unit must be split load...as ive been told the shower/sockets must be rcd protected.....i do not want the split load due to nuisance tripping,which i,ve had experience of before...thanks

Sponsored Links
Nothing that says it must be split load. Split load is a bodge anyway. What you can do is use RCBOs for circuits that need RCD protection. These are an MCB and RCD in one single-width unit.

But the cost of these is £30-£40 each, as opposed to a single RCD and MCBs at £4-£8 each. It is cost that prevents people going down this route.

edited to add: the benefit of RCBOs is that when they trip, they take out only one circuit. And nuisance trips are only a major problem if your fridge and freezer are plugged into an RCD circuit.

i think you are confused, split load means hal protected by rcd and half not.

usualy the half not is for lights.

you want a CU with no rcd, but you should have an rcd to protect all sockets.

which is better a nusance trip or being dead?

thanks crafty...your advice seems spot on....think i'll have the non split load and just get the mcbo for the sockets circuit......sparky whos doin work recomended a split load tho....

Sponsored Links
A Split Board doesn't "minimise inconvenience"

RCBOs are great

RCBOS need to be fitted on any circuit which may be used outside the equipotential zone (i.e. outdoors) and most shower manufacturers recommend an RCD in the circuit. I personally fit RCDS on all my shower installs. If you do go for a non-split load, you are looking at 3 to 4 RCBOS Downstairs ring, shower and 1 or 2 kitchen circuits.

Speak to your spark and explain the problems you had in the past. As Crafty said the nuisance tripping could have been due to earth-leakage from appliances. Switching to the non-RCD side could easily have sorted the problem out.

Using RCBOS does have then advantage of minimising the effect of a fault, but is still an expensive design (but John would make them compulsory if he could - only joking John :D

If you do use S/L boards (can I hear John spitting?), then it would be best to fit dedicated circuits on the non-rcd side for freezers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back