Consumer Unit replacement & move

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A heating engineer is due to replace the boiler that is located in a smallish cupboard at the front of my house. When the Engineer saw the boiler he commented on how close the consumer unit was to the boiler. Below is a diagram of the boiler e.t.c

CU_DIAG.JPG

The Engineer mentioned that he wasn't sure if there would be enough space to fit the new boiler with the CU where it was located and even if there was he was't sure if it contravened any electrical regulations. Common sense tells me that having something plastic and electrical (MCBs affected by heat?) near to something hot probably isn't a good idea

The CU is the old brown bakerlite type and a while ago I replaced the old fuses with MCBs. I was thinking while having the boiler replaced this would be a good time to have the old CU replaced and moved to a more convienient location (by a qualified electrician!). From looking at the existing setup it looks as though the CU could be moved (left and down) without having to get Electricity Board to move meter or tails.

The only problem I can see with moving the CU is the cables that run to the ring circuits upstairs would have to be extended or wiring from CU to junction boxes upstairs replaced. Is it possible or correct to extend these cables when moving a CU? Obviously having to completely replace the wiring up to the junction boxes makes this a much larger and costly job.

I would be interested to hear from anyone here who knows a bit more about electrics than I do :D on this.

Thanks in advance
Martin

Sponsored Links
It is permissable to extend cables using crimped or soldered connections.

Personally this would be a last resort.

You say the CU could move up or left. This is perfectly possible, and i dont see why the cables would need extending if they are surface mounted. If they did need extending, you could mount a plastic adaptable box next to the CU and extend the wires using this.

crafty1289 said:
You say the CU could move up or left.
Well.....

As clearly borne out by the drawing...
mleggatt said:
From looking at the existing setup it looks as though the CU could be moved (left and down) without having to get Electricity Board to move meter or tails.

i.e. service cable comes in at the bottom, therefore moving the CU up means longer tails....

HOWEVER - since I'd not fancy moving a CU with the tails still attached, we're into the pull-the-fuse territory anyway, in which case:

1) Pull fuse

2) Move CU up and left, shortening circuit cables as required

3) In space vacated by CU, install isolator

4) Connect old tails to isolator

5) Run new tails from isolator to CU

6) Test all circuits (Maybe do this at 1A, in case there are horrors..)

7) Replace fuse

Sponsored Links
I'd turn all MCB's off and then turn the CU main switch off before pulling the service fuse as current flowing through the fuse when it's pulled can arc nastily!

and equally make sure the main switch(es) are off before re-inserting it for the same reason!

out of interest, if your boiler is hot to touch, there's probably something wrong with it ;) it should be warm at most when running. It will not have any effect on any plastic accessories nearby, unless they are touching the boiler, when they could warp due to long term exposure to slight heat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back