consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a extention bedroom kitchen utility room dining room, it has its own consumer unit can i conect it to my other unit in the house, its 10 mtrs away. ?

Sponsored Links
Maybe. On balance probably not, but it does depend on what the loads in the extension are.

But why would you want to?

What was the plan for providing the supply to this CU?

How can it have got to the stage of being installed and an EIC issued without it being connected to allow all the testing to be completed?

If it's not got that far yet then what does the person who has been doing the installation work plan to do to finish the job satisfactorily?

Thanks for reply its a bit of a mash up the chap who put all electrics in set up the new consumer unit in my allyway and ran all the extention cables to it. Lights ring, socket ring cooker, extractor,. He also ran 1/2 earth, live, nuteral cable in a sleeve to my exsisting consumer unit. He said he would connect when i have finnished second fix. He has now emergrated, thats why i ask the question. Thanks.

So no testing has been done, which means you don't know if it is safe to energise it.

And there is now nobody who can certify compliance with the Building Regulations, or issue an EIC for it.

When you submitted your LABC notification for the extension, what did you say would be the means by which the electrical work would comply?

Have you told LABC about the fact that the electrician has disappeared? If so, what do they want you to do?

If not, that should be your next step.

can i conect it to my other unit in the house, its 10 mtrs away. ?
You're some way from being ready to connect.

Sponsored Links
The oridganal plans were submitted befor the new regs came out over 3 years ago. What should i do then i cant strip out the wires, should i just get another electrican to check the system and connect up ?

Did you make a full plans submission, or submit a Building Notice?

If the former, when were they passed without conditions or when was it finally stated in writing that any previous conditions had been met?

When did you give them a commencement notice?

When did you start building work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back