Consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would it be ok to use this spare 32amp for the garage supply
770ba1e75c36f3a9cd72efe50a9f9ef4.jpg

0bccfa89ef07e241fbb9a7b005b25749.jpg

Sponsored Links
OK for who is the question. For a scheme member electrician to use that MCB with 4mm² or larger SWA cable likely no problem in anyone's eyes.

Exactly the same job done by you or me with out paying LABC would be breaking the law.

I am sure we all break the law every day when we allow our speed to move over the 30MPH threshold and yet we get away with it most of the time.

So question is who will likely be looking at this work? Also may want to take it from other side. You will likely want a double pole isolator of some type so if something goes wrong you can switch it off and to use a double pole RCD as the isolator would mean any fault in garage will not trip out house.

Legal wise in England the situation would be open for debate but your in Wales like me.

I had not seen it was same person with both posts so 2.5mm SWA can't be used directly with a B32 MCB you could use a 20A RCBO right next to the fuse box in it's own enclosure and there are many other methods.

Sorry for that, so to put the 20amp rcbo in its own encloser next to the consumer unit, do u have a diagram how it's wired up please

Sponsored Links
Not me doing the job, just would like to know that the job is done correctly, too many cowboys around these days

So you do not need a diagram. In any case its two wires in and two wires out. Even my granny could wire that up.

Waht you need is a competent electrician, they are all assessed and qualified to do work like this. And don't stand behind him/her with a wiring diagram checking his/her work.
At the end you'll be presented with a working system and an Installation Certificate saying what the test results were.

There's lots to choose from at http://www.competentperson.co.uk

You mention in your other post you plan on using a welder in your garage.

A welder will take out that breaker every now and again, and will take out your 20A RCBO 7 times out of every 10 times you turn the welder on.

Also, you'll end up with your RCD protection at the house, so a single fault in the garage could take out the whole installation. Imagine being plunged into darkness whils holding a grinder or similar.

Why not let someone who actually knows what they are doing design this installation for you?

Thanks, now that's what I don't want to happen, so what would be the best design, could you give me a list of all the require parts so I could order source the parts then get a electrician to fit them ;)

A welder will take out that breaker every now and again, and will take out your 20A RCBO 7 times out of every 10 times you turn the welder on.

Will it? I have a shed at the bottom of the garden, with the electrics connected back to the consumer unit which is an older style with just the one RCD (and a bunch of MCBs) and the welder has NEVER tripped either the RCD or the MCB. (Its a 150A welder and I've had it on full power). Why would it in the above planned installation?

Thanks, now that's what I don't want to happen, so what would be the best design, could you give me a list of all the require parts so I could order source the parts then get a electrician to fit them ;)

No. Let your electrician source the parts.

Nothing worse than trying to cobble together a load of old carp the customer has bought on the 'cheap'

Will it? I have a shed at the bottom of the garden, with the electrics connected back to the consumer unit which is an older style with just the one RCD (and a bunch of MCBs) and the welder has NEVER tripped either the RCD or the MCB. (Its a 150A welder and I've had it on full power). Why would it in the above planned installation?

You probably have a different type of circuit breaker to the OP then.

My 120A arc welder takes out B16 circuit breakers every time without fail.

It on occasion takes out B32s like the OP has too.

It won't happen in a properly designed installation.

I will not be a load of old crap, just borrowed from work ;) , nothing like a bit of helpful free advice is there

Just get a schneider panelboard with a 32A MCCB for the mains end. Don't forget tails, henleys, bushes, lugs, BW gland pack etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back