Consumer Unit

RDP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a replacement CU fitted today which in turn required longer tails. The Electrician who fitted it had to pull the service fuse and then also break the seal on the digital meter in order to fit longer and thicker tails.

Should I now be worried about having no seals on the meter and the service fuse or is this just an every day of the week thing?

Sponsored Links
happens a lot. dont worry about it. the meter people will realise you've had a new CU fitted, and this is why the seals were broken. If they are feeling nice, they'll seal it back up for you.

If there was no new CU, they could assume you were nicking 'lectric by bypassing the meter. This is the danger with electricians cutting seals, but a fuss is rarely kicked up about it.

Some DNOs even tell sparks to cut seals and do the job, then the DNO will be out at their convenience to seal back up.

Thanks for the reassurance. Maybe I'll stick the old one in the garage for a while just to play safe.

It's not really a big problem, electricians often have to do this.

However, if the fuse is removed it exposes a shock hazard, so you may want to seal it with some wire to stop kids playing with it, until the DNO replace it for you.

Sponsored Links
Good idea, thanks. He threaded the old seals back through, but I might improve on them with a new bit of wire for a bit more protection as you suggest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back