Consumer Unit

DJM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You may remember my earlier thread
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=95259&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 covering consumer units and supply for the kitchen. I am still trying to get a response from supply company about moving the meter and beginning to understand why monopolies are such a bad thing. Anyway, to try and get things in place when I eventually get a reply from DNO, I have finally found an electrician who would come and quote for the CU work.

The work involves
1) supply and fit 17 way split load CU (Wylex or MEM or similar quality)
2) move current 2way CU 7 inches lower to allow space for 17way CU
3) transfer existing 10mm radial and repostion cooker switch
4) run 2 further radials in surface mounted truncking to DP switches to supply 2 ovens with flex outlets

No other circuits would be transferred from current CUs at this time. Distance for new oven radials would be max 12m each.

The quote has come in at £1315 inc VAT which I thought seems high. I know we shouldn't ask for prices on the forum, but I am just looking for a response in the "How much!", "Doesn't seem unreasonable", Sounds cheap" to reassure or dispel my concerns.

It's just that by my crude calculations using TLC-direct prices inc VAT,
Wylex 17-way split load £50
3 MCB £15
Blanks £7.5
Trunking £60
Trunk accessories £50
Cable 4mm £25
DP switches £30
gives a parts total approx £240 so add another £50 for misc and that gives £1000 for the labour which feels high to me, especially as I will still need t pay DNO to move the meter which could be another £800 plus VAT.
Comments welcome

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
New2Game said:
Sounds very expensive to me
Where do you live?
Seemed expensive to me as well. I am in the south west london / surrey area which is stupidly expensive, but even so

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back