Contactum's New Range Of MCB's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK. Don't cheat on this one by either looking up the Contactum breaker colours!

Contactum say their new range of MCB's has colour-coded dollys to allow for quick ID of ratings.

NOW, you will be familiar with Wylex's colour coding system, used since the intoduction of the Standard CU from the 1950's - present day.

So, have a guess which colours Contactum have decided will "allow quick identification."?

Don't cheat, this'll be fun! ;)

As a reminder, Wylex's colour coding is as follows:

5/6A - WHITE
10A - GREY
15/6A - BLUE
20A - YELLOW
30/2A - RED
35/40A - ORANGE
45A - GREEN

Let's just say Contactum's system is not evolutionary or intuitive... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Why do you need to be able to easily identify an MCBs rating? Surely you just reset it if its tripped?

The colours of the rainbow - red = 6amp, yellow = 10amp and so on?

Edit. RF at the back - spit that gum out, stop asking cleaver questions and just play the game :LOL:

Unless its an industry wide set of colours why bother - or are CU's going to become a new piece of domestic art?

The 32A Contactum MCB I fitted today was brown but do I care - no.

Sponsored Links
Are they not the same as the last lot of coloured mcbs that Contactum brought out a few years ago? Or have they decided against girlie pink this time...?

That's them - Moeller. Same thing as Contactum I think. So why change the colours now?

Numerical spark: :cry:

Got it!

6A Green
10A Red
16A Grey
20A Blue
32A Maroon
40A Black
50A White
63A Orange

That follows Moeller's code, but not Wylex's...

Just imagine an "old school" spark fitting a Contactum board... and putting a 50A breaker on the lighting. :eek:

Unless its an industry wide set of colours why bother

Exactly. Why bother? Unless each and every manufacturer uses the same colour coding, it is meaningless to the end user, who could be in a Wylex-equipped home one year & a Contactum-equipped house the next.

How confusing!

On the subject of Contactum MCBs, does anybody know of somewhere I can get a C6 from (if they even exist) - all the suppliers I can find only have B-types...

On the subject of Contactum MCBs, does anybody know of somewhere I can get a C6 from (if they even exist) - all the suppliers I can find only have B-types...

It seems that you might have a problem her, I called 2 of my suppliers one of them have 10A type C the previous version of contactum CBs. They could not find 6A type C even in the catalog. I am waiting for a call from my second supplier, and than let you know

I know that it does not help much but if you have a serious problem may be the customer would be ready to pay the difference for 6A type C RCBOs. I think that except that it is more money, this is the best/safest option.

For this situation, that wouldn't be good as it's supplying a small UPS that's tripping a B type when it first turns on - don't want it on an RCD because of earth leakage issues. If I can't get a C6, I'll go for a B10 with a FCU before the UPS, which should sort it, but would be nicer to have a C6...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back