Continually running header tank but not overflowing

JohnD - its a potterton profile and from what I believe, it is a good 10-15 years old.

Sponsored Links
a good solid boiler with a fanned flue, but not a condenser.

To all you good people that have responded so far.
My limited update is as follows.

2 bottles of leak sealer has made no difference.

I have managed to pull floor boards up in a variety of places on the ground floor, and assisted with a torch and mirror, i could see nothing even remotely looking like a leak.

There was one area i could not see, which is under top layer wood flooring, so am reluctant to pull it up.

Friend with a 'decent' damp detector came over today and pronged a few areas in different rooms. No reading, but as I have said, it is a suspended floor and it is top layer wood flooring, so is protected underneath with compressed ply.

Another interesting element to this (possibly). I have my hot water coming on for 90 mins in the morning and 90 in the evening. Several hours after the hot water has been on, i still have boiling hot water, suggesting that my water is continually being heated whilst the CH is on. This may well be completely irrelevant.

Water is still coming into the header tank at a rate similar to a tap just turned on - if that makes sense.

Am at a total loss. May well have a leak under the floor mentioned, but now I am not sure. Somebody has previously mentioned a faulty coil in the HW tank, but having run this past a plumber, he said unlikely, but htat said, he hasnt offered a sensible alternative. ANY ideas you have would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

turn off the water-main stopcock for a while, and use no water. You already know the water level in the F&E tank will drop, see how much after half an hour. Now look at the big tank. Has that dropped at all?

What were the results? Did the level carry on dropping?

Sponsored Links
Forget the hot water tank; if this had a hole into the central heating coil, water from the (higher) cold water storage tank would be coming into the c/h expansion tank and causing an overflow.

If there is water continually entering the expansion tank from its ballcock, yet the tank level is not rising and overflowing, then the water must be leaking from somewhere.
Sorry, but there is no further short cut if the leak is not in a visible area.
From your description, it does not sound as though the quantity is so small as to evaporate on a c/h pipe or from the sub site.

Thanks to everyone that helped me with this problem. It turned out that after ripping up our solid wood flooring (not happy) we had 3 seperate leaks within the pipework beneath. Now Im fearful that i have leaks in other places - laws of deduction says that it is possible. But anyway we now have hot water and heating - therefore happy. Thanks again to everyone that gave their time to help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back