Continuing Problems with no CH (but have HW!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1st off - thanks very much for the help already provided.

BUT - I'm still having problems with my CH.

Quick recap.... I previously posted stating that I had HW but no CH.
It was helpfully suggested that I remove motor on 3 port valve and "wiggle" the spindle.
This I did and yes, the CH worked, but only until the timer switched off; in the morning the CH didn't come on!

Hmmmm... thought I, what can be the problem now?
It was suggested that the motor could be at fault. I replaced this, turned and turned on the system. £15 and a new motor later (and much teaching my 4 year old new words!!) the problem still remains!

When I turn on the CH, I can see the "spindle" move position in the valve, but it doesn't seem to move far enough to turn on the CH.

I can have CH when HW is on, but of course only until HW has reached temp.
I can't get CH on it's own!

I'm moving house 10 days time and so do not wish to spend ££££££'s, but my wife wants to leave CH working for the new folks!!

Any ideas now - is it possible that the microswitch is up the spout (as I've changed the motor), or is it something more drastic?

Is it something I can do myself with my rudimentary plumbing skills?

If it helps the valve in question is Tower 3 motorised port valve.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What sort of valve is it?...with most you can take the head off and then call for heating, if this fires up then then that would indicate the valve mechanics at fault.

ollski said:
What sort of valve is it?...with most you can take the head off and then call for heating, if this fires up then then that would indicate the valve mechanics at fault.

Um... It's a Tower (manufacturer) 3 port motorised valve.
Is it possible to take the head off to check for the vavle mechanics without having to drain the system down?

Is it possible to take the head off to check for the valve mechanics without having to drain the system down?
Probably yes, if the valve is not too old. There is a black plastic clip that holds the head onto the body. If you remove the clip the head just comes away. When refitting, make sure valve body spindle is lined up with head.

Sponsored Links
chrishutt said:
Is it possible to take the head off to check for the valve mechanics without having to drain the system down?
Probably yes, if the valve is not too old. There is a black plastic clip that holds the head onto the body. If you remove the clip the head just comes away. When refitting, make sure valve body spindle is lined up with head.

Thank you for reply.

I'm a novice when it comes to plumbing (if you want an MRI scan, I'm your man - but that's another story!!!), so please excuse me for all my questions.

Is the head "universal" or do I need a specific one tailored for my brand of valve?
Also is there a website that details how to replace the head and re-align the spindle with piccies and explanation in words of one syllable?
Or... would one of you magnificent people be able to outline this procedure?

Many thanks

The spindle will have a flat on one side so you can't get it wrong. Did you try operating the head when you had it off, it's easier to tell if it's moving the correct amount. It should rotate the same between HW to mid position and mid position to CH. Also can't you use the lever to put the valve to CH only positon and check the voltage on the orange wire to prove the microswitch is at fault
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

thanks to everyone who helped on this - I'm sure this has been a reoccurring problem for lots of people.

Well, I've managed to fix it without changing the head!

I WD-40'd the spindle and gave it a few back & forth twists - the CH now works!!! (and it came on with the timer this am - unlike last time!)

I have only one concern, though; when the CH & HW is off, the spindle does not seem to return all the way to its original HW position, rather it stops short of this. Will this cause a problem? Could it be that with all my messing around I have stretched the "return spring"? (It came off one end and so I had a fun time trying to get it back on -lost some skin with that! but I may have stretched the spring)
If this is the case, is it possible to buy a spring & how easy to fit is it?

Cheers

When you turn off the HW and CH, power is still supplied via the HW OFF terminal and keeps the valve at the CH positon until the next time it is used, so nothing to worry about. If you want to see it return to HW position you'll have to switch off all power.
I dismantled a valve head to get to the microswitches and had no problem removing or replacing the spring and there was no chance of stretching it.
Glad to hear you've got it sorted.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

tollanarama said:
I WD-40'd the spindle and gave it a few back & forth twists - the CH now works!!! (and it came on with the timer this am - unlike last time!)

Ah the old Friday afternoon solution which you hope and pray will see out the 21 day recall period ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back