Convensional boiler, heating on its own.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a conventional heating system; and while I've only had combi boilers up till now, I like the system. The only thing that bugs me is that the system will heat hot water on its own, or heating and hot water, but not just heating.

It's not really a problem because we only ever have them both on at the same time, but I'd like to know why. Are some systems just configured this way? I initially assumed that the controller had been miss-wired.

Sponsored Links
You have a gravity HW circulating system and a pumped CH system that is how it is supposed to work

Ace, thank you. Your terminology also allowed me to find out why it is such. I wasn't having much luck typing nonsense into google.

your system can be altered to take more modern controls but needs additional valves etc and usually, pipe work alterations, depending on the size of your home this money maybe better spent on a new more modern boiler

Sponsored Links
We only ever have heating when the hot water would be on, so I'm not that bothered. It would take a long time to recoup the outlay in efficiency, so I'll worry about that when it's beyond economical repair.

We only ever have heating when the hot water would be on, so I'm not that bothered. It would take a long time to recoup the outlay in efficiency, so I'll worry about that when it's beyond economical repair.
too many will advise that modern boilers will save you so much money, if you have an old girl that is chugging away stick with it wont cost you much more

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back