Conventional boiler troubles!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our ancient Potterton conventional boiler has broken. I thought we'd be able to just replace boiler with a like for like one but have since found out that there are new rules about where it can be positioned etc.

We can't afford the £2.5k to replace with a combi boiler.

I have read online that there are exceptional circumstances where the boiler can just be replaced and stay in same position, is this true?

At the moment the boiler is in the kitchen and the flue goes into the chimney. A plumber that came to look at boiler was saying about moving it to an outside wall, trouble is we don't have a suitable one in the kitchen. The only outside wall goes into a covered alley way which isn't that wide (we're in a mid terraced).

It can't go in the loft as that has been converted to a bedroom.

Can anyone kindly tell me what our options are please?

Many thanks

Surferchick

Sponsored Links
If space is tight and you have a chimney a backboiler may be sufficient, but they can still be quite expensive.

BAXI recently launched a condensing range with or without electric fire fronts.

Sorry, I have a conventional not condensing boiler :oops:

Thanks for the suggestion BMM but we want to use fireplace to burn logs.

Surferchick

Sponsored Links
Fit a co-axial flue liner and a condensate pump. Can get a floor standing condensing boiler.

I have the same situation, but fortunately my Potterton open flue boiler is still working fine.

Can't you fix the old one?

Tibbot - no it's not floor standing.

Axel - The plumber who came said about replacing parts then started saying it would be better to replace it etc.

When I looked him up he wasn't on the gas safe register so I've arranged for another plumber to come round for a 2nd opinion. Fingers crossed it's just a repair!

Thanks for the replies

Surferchick

What is problem with boiler, what is model and age?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back