Conventional Boiler upgrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to have an extension built, thought i would upgrade current boiler whilst we were at it. The current system, I am led to believe is a conventional one(has 2 cold water tanks in the loft and copper cylinder below with emersion heater) current boiler is ideal RS50 approx 15 years old. I want to stick with the same c/h and h/w system so it would just mean replacing the old boiler and maybe the copper cylinder for a bigger one as hot water demands have increased over the years. after the extension is finished there would be a total of 12 radiators running on the system(approx 70,000 btus) 1 bath and 2 electric showers. Could someone please recommend a suitable boiler for my needs.

Thankyou in advance for your help

Sponsored Links
I would recommend the Vaillant Ecotec Plus 428 as a vented replacement and have the installer commission it to 24Kw (allowing for the hot water cylinder) or the Ecotec Plus 624 as a system boiler that will not require the F & E tank in the loft>

Also go for a fast recovery H/W cylinder, they are smaller but give more hot water.

keep the existing cylinder if it says it meets bs1566 spec.

It's hard to believe if you've asked about boilers here in the last few months that there is any other make but Vaillant, but most of us are worn down by the repetition of the same old question. "Which boiler?"

We could all sit here and roll out our favourites. vaillant are not the only reliable boilers.

Sponsored Links
Yet again I expect you are going to get a boiler considerably over rated for your needs.

A three bed semi needs about 10-12 kW. Adding a loft conversion can reduce that.

Hot water adds 2 kW to the rating of the boiler!

You say you have 21 kW or radiators! That would be a six bed detached house with all the rooms heated during winter???

Tony

A four bedroom highly insulated detached property will be about 21 KW.
A six bedroom detached property with average insulation could be double that.
Agile
I hope you are going to explain how adding a loft conversion will reduce the boiler sizing.
I appreciate you dont have much time for numptys like me but as I am a diyer I would like to know in case I have a go at converting my loft and then have the possibility of reducing the size of my boiler and ultimately reduce my fuel bill.

Whats the matter Tone. Cat got your tongue ?
I get it, you don't believe I am a diyer.
Nah,maybe not.

I get it.
Its your pride that prevents you responding to numptys like me in case I make you look like a fool in front of all the other forum members.

Balenza said:
A four bedroom highly insulated detached property will be about 21 KW.
A six bedroom detached property with average insulation could be double that.

Hark at the eggspert.

I expect Tony has City and Guilds 6084 what do you have that makes you qualified to dictate boiler size?

OP if you do want to know the correct boiler size there are many certain factors which we require to calculate it but give a man a fish feed him for a day, teach him how to fish feed him for life.

Only you know dimensions and building materials, follow this online calculator.

corgiman said:
Blimey are there ANY reliable boilers these days??

Thankfully not.

How it went was, Government knowing that in 2007 there would be so many new plumbrs vans on the road, that the fit intelligent ones would need an edge to stay in business.

They got their friends from the industry round the table and all concluded the problem was two fold, but eminated from one source.

Problem one pilot light uses so little gas (30 a year?) that it doesn't register on our meters and we are losing revenue.

Problem two, boilers are now so reliable we're losing sales of new boilers.

So the government worried about the unemployment and balance of payments situation banned the reliable boilers and put in a special request that in future manufacturers built in obsolescence to these old boilers to get them off the patch. Most recently they have enlisted the help of corgi because the died in the wool old boiler fans have been replacing no longer available casing seals with Rothenberger rope seal. This is now an unsafe situation.

Soon eveyone will be buying a new boiler every 5 to 15 years.

Fortunately there are still a few reliable boilers like Buderus who have been making modern condensing boilers for 30 years in Holland where before we got into the market 80% of boilers were condensing. The original boilers from 30 years ago are still working away happily. They are marketed in the uk by BBT the group who own Worcester. Of course this import is a threat to the livelyhood of the Worcester group and they don't behave as though Buderus is a sister company, they would prefer Buderus go away. But what they do Buderus do so well, Bosch won't be selling them, after all they bought them while they already owned Worcester. I wander why?

Paul Barker wrote

I expect Tony has City and Guilds 6084 what do you have that makes you qualified to dictate boiler size?

Just stating my findings thats all.
A relative who is project manager for a construction company gave me detailed files on heat loss calculations submitted by his consultant for his new build which is a four bedroom detached dwelling.
Going by the figures I have Agile is way out so it looks like 6084 is not much use to him.
I am also interested in knowing how adding a loft conversion can reduce the boiler size.
Can you answer that or is it a big secret ?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back