Conventional to Combi Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am considering getting some quotes to change to a combi to free up cylinder space (storage area) to change into a small en-suite.

My current Glowworm Spacesaver 50 has separate CH and Cyllinder flows and returns.

The CH return goes through a pump but the Cylinder return does not..

My question is: If the central heating flow and return is attached to the new combi with it's own internal pump, will the hot be able to pass through the pump that is no longer needed upstairs or will that block the flow.

Will the pump need to be cut out or can it just allow flow when it is no longer being powered.

I am not concerned about the cyllinder flow as it is separate piping and therfore will no longer be needed with a new system. Its just the central heating I am concerned about.

Many thanks,

Liam Caswell

Sponsored Links
All plumbing to your cylinder will be taken out as well as the pump.
Your central heating F &R tails will be rerouted to your combi as well as your dhw and mains in.
Not sure I understand your concern as the installer will know what to do to convert to a combi system :confused:

I understand what you are saying. All I want to know is will he have to take the CH pump upstairs away because it is no longer necessary or can he just leave it attached to the pipework without any flow problems. I just want to be aware of what I am asking a plumber to do before I get quotes.

Liam

.........change to a combi to free up cylinder space.....

Oh, super!! I do like you. Getting in a nice combi will keep another boiler repair man in work :D (rubs hands gleefully). Just don't think the space you will "free up" will be free space. You will pay rent on the space in the form of higher maintenance costs. Don't believe me? Ask my customers who have combi boilers.

Sponsored Links
I think you should have 2 combis, then you have a backup when one goes wrong. Immersion heaters are far too simple and cheap. :evil:

Nothing wrong with decent combi's fitted properly, steer away from cheap cr*p from sheds.
Your plumber should know what to do regarding your pump, but yes it wants removing.

Yes yes yes we know oily, stop putting people off them or your income will be cut, stop biting the hand that feeds ;)

I understand it would be best to remove it but if it were to stay, would it affect the central heating flow or would it just allow the flow through it because it is not being powered?

Liam

For practical purposes and asuming a normal boiler / cylinder layout, it is necessary to remove the pump and pipework around the cylinder, cap the coil return and connect the boiler flow directly to the pipe leading to the radiators. If extra / redundant pipes are left, there will be extra flow resistance - a bad thing.
I'm mystified why you are concerned about leaving redundant bits in place.....

Ravings of a lunatic mind,.......there's no cure, he wants a combi :rolleyes:

you lot worry me sometimes
what he wants is a baxi bahama leave the pump in place and run the system
then we all pi** ourselves laughing :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back