Convert 2 Way Lighting Circuit to a 1 Way Circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening

I was wondering if someone could help me ?

I am in the process of decorating and would like to temporarily wire the 2 way hall lighting switches as a 1 way switch.

At the ceiling light there is only a live, neutral and earth.

Is it possible to do this ?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What is the real problem you want to solve?

Is it that during decoration you need to remove one of a pair of 2-way switches? If so - simple - having made careful note of what goes where, including marking conductors, taking photos etc, replace the switch with a 3-way piece of choc-block, transfer the conductors from each switch terminal to a terminal in the connector, and add a link between the terminals you use for the COM (if the switch has COM, L1 & L2) or L1 (if it has L1, L2 & L3) conductors, and one of the others. Doesn't matter which. The remaining switch will turn the light on and off.

It will all be clear if you study the Wiki articles on lighting - at any time a 2 way switch connects COM to either L1 or L2 (or L1 to L2 or L3) - you just need to replicate that with a connector strip.

Have you thought about how you'll keep everything safe if a switch is missing?

Have you thought about how you'll keep everything safe if a switch is missing?

Sponsored Links
Hi my plan is to wrap the terminal blocks in the chocolate blocks with insulating tape - the house is empty right now and only the painter in working there and we have discussed the plan to remove the switches.

You shouldn't need to completely remove the switches to be able to paint the walls. Unscrew, pull them out, cover with a plastic bag.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back