Convert Cottage Dormer to full Mansard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We already have a small cottage dormer loft extension. I've been wondering if it's worth while getting a full Mansard. It looks like we'd gain an extra 3 feet in width for the widest part, and obviously the area to the left and right of the cottage dormer too.

Do we save much money on a mansard conversion, if the work has already been done for a cottage? Or would it be like starting again, and the only money I save is the 1K or so for the stairs?

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
Loft conversions of any kind should be based on need or wants not, within reason, on cost.

Sponsored Links
Do we save much money on a mansard conversion

Save compared to what?

It will need a new roof and any bracing
Let's say a from scratch mansard conversion costs 35K. How much would it cost to convey my current cottage loft extensions to a mansard. For instance I already have stairs, so won't need that - which saves around 1K or so (I think). What about the additional supports etc that would have been put in for the cottage love conversion etc....

Just trying to get an idea, whether i'll save 1K, 5K or 10K.

If you will just keep the stairs and floor, then your sill looking at about 80% of the cost of a full loft and roof conversion.

Have you got a photo of the current dormer, my guess is most of what you have wont fit into your new plans, trying to adapt something that was designed with another purpose in mind is often more costly and time consuming than taking it down and starting again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back