Convert sunroom into habitable room

I've had another builder up this week and he has suggested exactly the same as what 'Woody' originally suggested about insulating internally and just fitting a new roof.

With the previous builders all for demolishing a perfectly sound structure, this builder seemed to speak some sense. He looked at the walls and even though they are only single skin for 50% of the room, they would be strong enough to support a new cut pitched roof. A timber stud wall internal of all walls would also add strength and celotex or kingspan could be fixed to these. I would assume that the estimate for this work would be drastically less than the £20,000+ quoted by the other builders and more in line with my budget

I did some digging last night just to check the foundations and noticed that it goes down three bricks below ground level and there is a concrete foundation below that, so seems solid enough.

The only problem that might crop up is that the internal floor is at the same level as the ground level outside. I don't know if there is a dpm fitted to the floor slab, but there has been no indication of damp ( so i would be reluctant to dig this up) As all the walls will most likely be insulated, it would be a pity to leave the floor out and this would be an ideal opportunity to sort it. At present the floor is at the same level as the kitchen next to it, so if insulation was added to this floor, there would be a step into the kitchen, which we could live with.

So if I added 50mm of insulation on top of a dpm with either a screed or t & g plywood above it, would this be suitable (it will be used as a playroom initially and at a later date the kitchen will be moved in there)? I would also have to take into account the lower levels of the external doors with how much room I would have to play with. Presently the door lintels are 83 inches (2110mm) above the level of the floor.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to drag up an old thread - just wondering how you got on with this.

Importantly when you had Building Control around what did they say about the foundations?

I'm in a similar position and I just want to change the roof but they are making life hard for me even though the structure has been up for 20 years and hasn't moved an inch they are saying they are not good enough.

Importantly when you had Building Control around what did they say about the foundations?

Never did get Building Control involved.
The builder that I had to do the work checked the foundations and said that they were fine. The new pitched roof has been finished and I am now in the process of finishing the internals.

Any reason why you contacted Building Control?

Sponsored Links
Any reason why you contacted Building Control?

Because the work you have had done is controlled work and you are legally obligated to have the work inspected and passed by b.c.

This of course will only apply should you get shopped or if an eagle eyed surveyor picks it up should you wish to sell. ;)

Common sense and a decent builder would suggest using b.c.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back